Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Tracer (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/tracer-21/)
-   -   The Shakes (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/tracer-21/shakes-7934/)

96RedTracer 02-01-2015 04:43 PM

The Shakes

Hey I have a 96 tracer and at low RPMs it shakes and rattles like none other and that first shift out of first is real bad enough to shake the whole car but everything after that is fine until i drop below about 2500 RPM. So the question is what's wrong with my car? Is this normal or just me? its a 4 speed automatic on a 1.8L. And if you have an idea of the problem how much will it cost? :confused:

corker 02-02-2015 03:57 PM

I just repaired a 1995 Tracer that rattled at idle and made noises when trans shifted. I found every engine and transmission mount was shot. I believe there was a total of 3 motor mounts and 1 transmission mount. I bought all 4 at Rockauto.com for $50 - it took a couple of hours to install them. They made a world of difference in the vibration dampening. You can inspect each mount and you will probably find the rubber insulators torn loose on every one of them.
Good Luck,
Corky

96RedTracer 02-02-2015 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by corker (Post 19305)
I just repaired a 1995 Tracer that rattled at idle and made noises when trans shifted. I found every engine and transmission mount was shot. I believe there was a total of 3 motor mounts and 1 transmission mount. I bought all 4 at Rockauto.com for $50 - it took a couple of hours to install them. They made a world of difference in the vibration dampening. You can inspect each mount and you will probably find the rubber insulators torn loose on every one of them.
Good Luck,
Corky

I'm not the best with mechanics But I can do some things. How hard was the change? Where do i need to look for the motor mounts on the car? How can I tell if my mounts are shot? What tools will i need?
Thank you

corker 02-03-2015 07:30 AM

They were fairly easy to change for me because I removed the transmission to repair engine rear main seal leak and transmission input shaft leak. The removal of all mounts can be done with hand tools, although air tools makes life easier. The first engine mount is right in front of the timing belt cover on passenger side of engine. There are 2 more engine mounts under car - they are bolted into the long black support bracket on the driver's side. One is up front and one is at the rear. If you support the oil pan with a floor jack and a block of wood, you can remove that long black engine / trans support to expose the front and rear mounts. The last transmission mount is under the battery tray. Look closely at the rubber centers of the mounts and I'm pretty sure you will see them all cracked and broken loose from the mounts.
Corky

96RedTracer 02-03-2015 08:17 PM

Corky[/QUOTE]

thank you