Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Villager (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/villager-19/)
-   -   3.0 timing belt question(s) (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/villager-19/3-0-timing-belt-question-s-3087/)

sackman9975 07-11-2009 02:16 PM

3.0 timing belt question(s)

Ok, I got a freebie 94 villager. Doesn't run. Came with no battery. I put a battery in today, cranked it, no fire. Pulled the distributor cap and the distributor is not turning, but it's sending spark through the coil wire even though it's not cranking. So this tells me that the timing belt is broke or missing teeth. My main question is, is this a motor where the valves are gonna bend if the belt snaps? If so, I probably ain't gonna mess with it. But if it's not, then it's a money maker for me and I'll fix it. Thanks for any replys.

slymer 07-11-2009 05:26 PM

not sure if it's a given that there will be damage to the valves. (of course you could always take the heads off and see... I've heard that with the 3.0 there is enough clearance, but I could be mixed up. there's other people on here who should know for sure.) since you're looking at taking the timing cover off anyhow, you could take it off and rotate the cam to see if it will make a full rotation or two. that might mean that there's nothing impeding the valves and they're fine (turn the crank to top dead center as you try) if you get any stoppage, then that means there's probably damage inside. Or just wait for the guys who know for sure to come on and tell ya.

sackman9975 07-12-2009 09:05 AM

Ok well I guess I'm gonna find out myself. I've done some searching, and asking on another forum (www.fullsizebronco.com) and I'm getting info that its not an interference engine and that it is an interference engine. Well I'll just change the $20 belt out and see. Its either gonna run or backfire like a son-of-a-gun.

slymer 07-12-2009 03:38 PM

true... good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

conan312 07-14-2009 10:42 PM

If it is the Nissan/Mercury shared 3.0L then it is a non-interference engine. You should be good to go.

sackman9975 07-15-2009 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by conan312 (Post 10441)
If it is the Nissan/Mercury shared 3.0L then it is a non-interference engine. You should be good to go.

That's what I want to hear.

I haven't got to it yet. Hopefully this weekend I'll get to it. I won't let this thread die without closure.

sackman9975 07-15-2009 09:31 PM

Well the motor is no good. Tore it down, and went to position the cams, and the rear cam won't budge. That's why the belt went. Going to the bone yard............

Sandra9810 07-16-2009 03:30 PM

Wish you were in Florida... I could use a spare car for some parts. Really need to get new front seats, they're totally beat up.

We've had just about everything besides the engine and the AC replaced.... it now needs it's third transmission.