Villager Discuss the Mercury Villager here...

Front Brake Noise

Old 11-20-2007, 12:25 AM

Hey all, some time to drain and an issue I know Many 93-98 owners would appreciate info. Have had this issue for yearsover 40K mi.'s and have to credit the following to: http://www.loudoun-net.com/haines/vq_new.txt where I found some years back.

FIRST, Add description of how the squealers work. Squealer noise vs. brake noise.

brake noise

However, there are two things that are supposed to help in this situation. The first is to use caliper slide grease (or silicone dielectric grease) in the appropriate areas when changing the brakes and the second is to use OEM brake pads. The noise you mention is the result of one of the brake pads making light contact with the rotor which causes it to vibrate and make noise. When you apply the brakes this tightens things up and keeps the pad from vibrating in this manner. If you want to tackle this yourself you will need to get some caliper slide grease or the dielectric grease. This should be available in most autoparts stores. Do not use any other type of grease. These greases are the "only" types that are safe for the rubber caliper slide bushings and because of their ability to stay in place when things get hot or wet. The grease is applied to the backing plate of the brake pad only or the appropriate areas on the caliper. Apply the grease to the caliper slide pins, to the places where the brake pad backing plate makes contact with the caliper, and to the edges of the brake pad backing plate where it comes in contact with the caliper bracket. The grease is supposed to help with the noise problem, but I have yet to confirm how effective this is. Three weeks ago I did the brakes on one of my cars doing what I mentioned above. It is too early to tell how well this works, but I shall wait and see. The noise on this car was different than what I have with my van though. It only made the noise when the brakes were applied.

The pads are a piece of cake. Get yourself some caliper slide grease and T40 size torx bit. If you can't get that, get silicone dielectric grease. Petroleum based greases "cannot" be used for this. When reinstalling the pads apply the grease to backing plate of the pad where it makes contact with the caliper piston and the caliper itself. If you have ever used anti-squeal compound, the grease is applied in the same place as the compound used to go. In other words, use the grease in place of anti squeal compound. Also, apply the grease to the edges of the brake pad backing plate where it makes contact with the caliper and to the caliper slide pins. I prefer to use OEM replacement pads because they tend to do better in terms of noise and I know their braking performance.

For self, did the MIDAS thing back 2+ years and THEY even said they had issue w/ Villager brakes. Bet the above would have shed some light. For me, Rotors are getting mic.'ed down, so will have to flip $ for rotors, but rest assure I'll take the above info. in stride since theyback the Pads.

Hope someone finds usefull !!