Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Villager (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/villager-19/)
-   -   radio question (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/villager-19/radio-question-2960/)

carputt 05-25-2009 03:55 PM

radio question

Hi

I am trying to install an aftermarket cd player in our villager.
I got the right connectors but there is a random wire that is necessary.

There is a single wire that plugs into the factory radio right next to the antenna, it's a bit bigger and just pushes in. the end of it is round.

I don't know what it is, but the radio doesn't work without it

So does anyone know if I can just splice this into the new radio or something?

Anyone know what it's for, where it goes, what it does?

Thanks a lot.

crazyrog17 06-14-2009 03:09 PM

the aftermarket radio probably doesn't require it.

as far as the aftermarket radio goes, all it needs is power, ground, speakers and an antenna. other things such as illumination, amplifier remote signal, antenna remote signal and ambient noise mic are optional.

slymer 06-14-2009 05:12 PM

that extra wire may just be a ground wire. see if you can follow it behind the dash. if it goes back into the loom, it may be for something else like steering wheel controls (if you have volume controls and such on your steering wheel. if it just kind of loops around to a metal bracket, it's a ground wire.

carputt 06-16-2009 07:33 PM

It must be something important because the stereo won't work without it plugged in.

But we gave up on this project, anyway. Thanks for your attempted help!

conan312 06-18-2009 12:33 PM

wait wait. the new stereo won't work without it either? or just the stockie?

carputt 06-20-2009 07:45 PM

Neither the new aftermarket stereo nor the stock radio will power on without it.

conan312 06-21-2009 03:03 AM

if everything else is hooked up right then it has to be the hot wire. maybe you have the memory wire hooked up to the newbie where that wire is supposed to be. don't give up on it, you'll be happy when you get it in. let me know.

slymer 06-22-2009 03:10 PM

my 88 mgm stock radio was grounded through the case to the support plate in the dash (the first aftermarket - old one on hand - deck was grounded through the antenna and the one now is the same physical dimensions as the stock one and using the stock grounding/stabilizer bracket). The Suzuki I used to have had the radio grounded through a wire attached to a bolt on the side of the mounting brackets. The 85 pontiac parisienne (chevy caprice) had a separate line for the 12V constant that clipped on the back of the stock radio. It could well be the battery line or a ground. But since the aftermarket stereo won't work without it, I'd wager it's a ground wire.

reseau2 08-06-2014 01:34 AM

Hey enjoy with digital music play with unlimited storage capacity.