Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Help on interior

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 12:58 AM

Does anyone know of a good leather repair kit that I could use to fix the driver's seat in my 87 MGM. Its cracked a little bit from the years of sitting under the florida sun. Also, what are the dimesions of the speakers in the dash and in the rear (looks like 6x9s in the rear).

Old 10-18-2005, 09:33 PM

Come on guys a reply to this post would be nice. I know im a newbie but it seems like this forum doesn't help much unlike the vast amount ofDSM(Diamond Star Motors who made theMitsubishi Eclispe & Eagle Talon)forumsI am used to. There has got to be more support for these cars, because I see enough of them on the road today.I asked legitmate questions but no one seems to answer. Im just looking for a simple leather repair kit for a grey interiorbecause im trying to keep this car nice inside and out. Maybe i'll ask my dsm forum for help lol.

Edited by: 872doorboat

Old 11-24-2005, 02:42 AM

Hi, 872doorboat - maybe nobody knows the answer and that's why you aren't getting any? I know I wouldn't answer a question on one of these forums if I don't know the answer. Anyways, I'm brand new too, in this forum and with my 2003 GM LS, which I bought only a couple of months ago and I'm loving it. Funny thing, I'm looking for the same thing you arefor a nick I have in the leather on the left rear door trim.I also have some damage to the leather on my driver's seat (it seems the previous owner was either very heavy or used to keepa radio or key ringattached to the pant belt, but I'll leave that to Dr. Watson). I'm actually considering replacing the leather cover entirely on the seat, as I'm sure there are auto upholstery places out there that can do that. I also found a place on the internet www.newfordparts.com which seems very reasonably priced. What's to keep us from ordering a replacement leather cover from this place, and then take it to a dealer to install it? If I should go through with this, I'll post a reply.

Old 11-24-2005, 02:47 AM

Oh, and 872doorboat, I just saw your question on the speakers. Have you tried the auto audio section of Best Buy? They have a computer there with a database of all cars and the size and location of all speakers. It's self service. Just walk up to it and follow the screen's instructions. I don't know how far back in model years it goes, though but Best Buy is fascinating enough to go there for nothing but to look.[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2006, 05:23 PM

Don't know of any repair kits for actual leather. Only hope if badly cracked and split is replacement. You can perhaps delay the aging process by good old fashioned "elbow grease". Thoroughly clean the leather using saddle soap or other similar type cleaner. Then liberally apply some type of leather treatment( do not use silicones-- tends to dry out leather faster) like mink oil or other simlar product. I have heard of some people actually using baby oil to restore very dry sections. Just liberally apply actual baby oil and rub it into the material. Before doing anything over a large section, try a small section first.

Keep sunlight and ultravolet light off the sections. Cover the seat when not in use or park vehicle inside when not in use.