Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

Interior lights stay on...electrical HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Default Interior lights stay on...electrical HELP!!

ok...this just recently started happening on my 04 mountaineer. Unless I manually shut off the interior lights using the switch beside the headlight switch, they will stay on when I shut and lock the doors for a good 20 minutes, and the outside lights also stay on. When this started happening, my code buttons on the door started not working, and at the same time, if I activate the heated mirrors, the interior and exterior lights turn on and stay on until I shut the mirrors off. lol...who knows what the hell is going on??

Old 04-11-2009, 09:11 PM

I don't know what your specific cause it, but I can tell you my 2 causes.

Same issue, lights stood one (they go off after 30 minutes, battery preservation module).

But, about 2 years ago, it was the sliding switch on the rearview mirror (with which you adjust the lengths of the lights staying on). I took it apart and cleaned it, worked fine.

This year I had the same issue, but this procedure didn't help. It was the dimming wheel for the instrument lights. If I moved it all the way to maximum, right before it "clicks" and they stay on permanently, the lights didn't go off.

I cleaned it, and voila, works.

Greetings!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 AM

thanks I'll have to try that! I was told to check the door sensor, so I cleaned it a few times and no luck. It cant be that expensive, I might just replace it, clean those things that you mentioned and see what happens.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

i was thinking the dimmer switch or a button that works the lights by the doors opening... might also be a ground wire gone bad in the controls someplace...

Old 04-13-2009, 08:38 PM

My Sable and some other Merc owners I can remember, from people writing in to the site, had the same problem. You might even find the posts in the archives. But anyway, someone suggested spraying a ****load of WD-40 into the door catch latches. Worked for me and others as I recall. Whoever told you about the door sensor, or more of a switch maybe, was on the right track. If you do it just remember to give the door a little grease afterwords. Until then, just pop the interior bulb(s) out. Let me know.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

one of my cars had the dome light stay on... tracked it to a door switch that activates lights when door opens. the button misadjusted itself and was pushed in and had to adjust it out. since you say the mirrors mess with it also, i would think it is a problem possibly in the door controls.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:56 AM

thanks for the help guys....its a very annoying problem and I'll admit im very picky with my vehicles. lol.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:37 AM

you're not the only one... my major annoyance right now is the headliner is starting to really sag on my head. much more and I may take it to the upholstery place and get it fixed. it just feels weird to have stuff sitting on your head while you're driving.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:39 PM

haha I wouldnt be able to stand that. friend of mine has a 2003 crown vic police interceptor that was starting to do that, we replaced the whole interior with leopard print...its pretty fly if i do say so myself. lol.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

my girlfriends son's 1986 Grand Marquis was being an annoyance... it was sucking down gas BAD! me and him ended up ripping the car down some to do some painting. i eliminated the a/c and smog pump and killed almost all the vacuum lines. his car lost about 50 pounds and is running better without the vac leaks it had.

Quick Reply: Interior lights stay on...electrical HELP!!