Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

loud annoying whining

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Default loud annoying whining

Hey everyone, I'm a new member here on the Mercury site. I have a 94 Grand Marquis with around 175k miles on her that my family has had since new. Its always been a good car to us. Runs strong and shifts good for its age and still has cold AC!

Lately its had a strange whining, almost whistle at certain acceleration, but recently on a 200+ mile trip the whining became extremely loud and high pitched to point of giving me a headache. But it continued to drive and shift just fine.

The whine would get softer and certain throttle positions and higher at others, but would disappear if I let off the gas completely, and then make a grinding whine when slowed under 15mph all the way to a stop.

It doesn't sound like power-steering because the sound continues even at speed and it doesn't squeek when turning in and out of parking spaces.

I'm really at a loss for the cause of this whining, I usually can figure anything out with my car.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:43 PM

Did you ever get the problem sorted out? I have a 96 Marquis and it's having a similar problem.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by jackonfire
Hey everyone, I'm a new member here on the Mercury site. I have a 94 Grand Marquis with around 175k miles on her that my family has had since new. Its always been a good car to us. Runs strong and shifts good for its age and still has cold AC!

Lately its had a strange whining, almost whistle at certain acceleration, but recently on a 200+ mile trip the whining became extremely loud and high pitched to point of giving me a headache. But it continued to drive and shift just fine.

The whine would get softer and certain throttle positions and higher at others, but would disappear if I let off the gas completely, and then make a grinding whine when slowed under 15mph all the way to a stop.

It doesn't sound like power-steering because the sound continues even at speed and it doesn't squeek when turning in and out of parking spaces.

I'm really at a loss for the cause of this whining, I usually can figure anything out with my car.

Thanks for any help.
Looks to be a differential problem...get it checked by a good mechanic..I had the same problem and I have to change it by another used differential...although costly.