Cougar Discuss all years of the Mercury Cougar here...

02 cougar misfires/cutouts

Old 03-17-2007, 03:06 AM

Ownedan '02 cougar, V6, automatic, less than a year. I rarely drive it(primarily wife and son). It misfires/cuts out. Had it diagnosed, some air sensor replaced. Ford dealer diagnosis says spark plugs are bad, and maybe leaky intake manifold gaskets. Plugs, wires, intake gaskets.....$700 on the high end. I'm 50 yrs old and I've never paid a cent to have anyone replace any of those items. Anyone out there ever done this job? Supposedly, the intakes have to be removed to change the plugs, thus new gaskets anyway. I can wrench with the best. I'm just not familiar with this engine. Any info would be greatly helpful. Thanks, KTH Edited by: cougar02

Old 03-17-2007, 03:20 AM

FOLLOW UP QUESTION: Is there an inherent problem with intake gaskets on these V6 engines? Thanx, KTH