Cougar Discuss all years of the Mercury Cougar here...

99 Cougar No Starter/Fuel Pump/Spark Operation

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Default 99 Cougar No Starter/Fuel Pump/Spark Operation

Got this 99 cougar for some work on a buddy's civic. It was sitting around his yard for 2 years because of an issue it's had and as an auto tech i figured hell i'd give it a shot ust for a trade on a few hours labor. I've only got about 2 hours in working on it but the problems i have currently found are; The obvious No starter or Fuel Pump operation so i wanted to see if it had spark to rule a few things out so i used my starter momentary switch tool to bypass starting system and even with the engine cranking and 12.7v at the coil pack there is no spark(which i assume means 0 signal to it to fire). I tested for voltage all over the main harness and everything seems to have proper voltage going to the right things. I have already checked the "Impact Sensor" and it has not tripped. Also i have replaced the ignition switch and there was no change in the issue. The dash lights all work properly with the key switch like they should. Could the smart key system enable the Ignition/Fuel/Starting system's? I have yet to find anything that seems unusual anywhere in the car. Can anyone help point me in the right direction.