Cougar Discuss all years of the Mercury Cougar here...

99 Mercury cougar (died?)

Old 12-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Unhappy 99 Mercury cougar (died?)

Car: 99 mercury cougar v6 auto.

I was driving to work going up a hill, the car starting to rev high and then it lost all power out of the motor (revs went to zero motor cut out, didn't make a sound). Still had all my lights and such working, check engine light and battery light came on...

Attempted to restart it, the car wouldn't turn over, the starter kicked and that's it... Wouldn't even attempt to start. No leaks can be seen, no smoke coming from the motor... Had no issues with the transmission or motor for the past year or so.

I'm stumped so I searched for a service forum, and found this place, any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:49 PM

sounds like the engine computer croaked. Check your fuses, both under the dash and under the hood. if the fuse is blown going to the ECM, that could cause this issue. Hopefully it's just a fuse and there's not anything actually wrong with the ECM that's causing it to blow fuses or die. They're not cheap for a cougar if I remember correctly.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:48 PM

Just putting an update as I had it towed to a garage because I'm horrible with trouble shooting... Turns out it seized up... How it seized up I dunno, I change my oil regularly and I've never had any issues with it... Kinda sucks to have to junk this car, especially since I can't afford a new engine...

Old 01-03-2010, 10:50 AM

bummer.
rebuilt engines can probably be had for around a grand, but the labor involved in the swap would take it well over 3 grand.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:13 PM

Sorry to hear about the car ... if you end up parting her out, I would gladly take a passenger-side headlight! lol

((just picked up one, only need that part))

Old 01-31-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by HeyHay
Sorry to hear about the car ... if you end up parting her out, I would gladly take a passenger-side headlight! lol

((just picked up one, only need that part))
You wouldn't want mine, they're showing alot of hazyness (?word)... The front of the car has a lot of road rash due to loooong drives from Maine to AZ...

Old 02-01-2010, 05:12 PM

HAHA alright .... it's okay anyway, I found one .... just waitin for it to arrive