Cougar Discuss all years of the Mercury Cougar here...

Brake Upgrade

Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 PM

Lookin for better brakes on my 94 xr-7. Thinking of using cobra rotors and calipers. It seems to me would work just lookin for a second opinion. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:42 PM

if the ball joints fit or it will mount to the stuff currently on your car, then yeah, go for it. if it''s not a perfect match, you''ll be hard pressed to fit them on.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:31 PM

That''s what I''m trying to figure out. Not to worried about ball joints just worried about mounts. Not sure if they bolt up in the same spot does anybody know? Don''t have the parts on hand to test. If not any suggestions on better calipers and rotors for this car. I might end up taking them off of a super coupe, but from what I hear those aren''t much better then the ones I already have. The reason for the upgrade is just due to bad calipers. Replaced stock calipers 3 times due to them seizing up. Also just looking for better stopping power.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:48 AM

what I was thinking is that if the calipers don''t match up, then you might be able to remove all the hardware between the ball joints and replace with the stuff from the cobra. summit racing has replacement rotors (cross drilled and vented) that you could use along with baer pads. that would definitely help with keeping the parts cooler. from the little looking around I did... I don''t see anything for less than a grand easy. but if you''re willing to shell out some money... this place has one (best price I could find as well).

and no clue about whether the cobra calipers will fit, but considering that no shop that has parts for a cobra, has parts for a cougar might be a clue that it''s not a direct bolt on.Edited by: slymer

Old 12-20-2008, 11:43 AM

Still I think I will take some measurements off the calipers. My buddy has a 94 cobra just haven''t been able to get in touch. Even if can make them fit with minor mods it would be alright. The reason I believe they might be interchangeable is the similarities in the rear end. Replaced his brakes couple months back and every thing looked about the same. Will take some measurements and let you know. Only reason wanted to go with cobra calipers is I can find them for less then a grand not looking to spend a bunch of money. will keep you posted on progress.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:52 AM

Good luck. I hope it fits. Would definitely be some good info to have on the net too.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:55 PM

Back to square one on brake swap. Actually decided to go with super coupe brakes for now, there on order from Super Coupe Performance. Found them online had all parts I needed plus all parts for 5 Speed conversion. Still looking into Cobra swap, this is just something to get me along. Hopefully can get a hold of a Cobra Soon. Will keep u posted on progress and thanks for all help.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:52 PM

More info on brakes. Swap can be done by changing the hub assembly. and using all brake calipers and all parts related off of irs Cobra. Turns out to be a sick *** swap, but alot more expensive and time consuming then originally planned. Might as well just by performance brakes. Refer to slymers post to find the best place. It was the best I could find *** well and probably what I''ll end up using. Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:24 PM

that''s some good info to have though. and if you do swap the hubs, you can get any brakes designed for the cobras as well.