Cougar Discuss all years of the Mercury Cougar here...

Cougar not holding its oil. SPRAYING OUT

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 03:05 PM

Hi, I have a 1994 Cougar. Recently my whole world came tumbling down. I was driving down a highway and the RPM were running really high and suddenly the oil pressure dropped. I had to pull off the side of the road and get a tow home.

The oil was burnt to hell, and watery and their is a loug clicking noise we think is a lifter. I believe i have big problems that would require a rebuild or new engine. But one huge problem at hand is the oil.

We noticed barely any oil was left in my engine. and i always check it i was not losing oil prior to this incident. so we gave my car a oil change to see if it quiets the lifter down and maybe i can just get the car running till i can fix it.

After the oil changei started the engine. the lifter noise quieted for a few seconds then i hard a huge POP. then a airy spraying sound. In almost less than a minute i lost almost all my oil that spewed out under my car. It wasnt spewing from the Oil pan, or Oil filter. and i cant have a cracked block i never overheated once, and still dont. the oil pressure is at zero. so does anyone know where this oil could be spewing from at such a large pressure. we imediately shut it off, i dont want to hurt the engine any more. this is so hard to explain it is so weird.

i believe maybe this oil thing is fixable, but the real problem at hand would be the wear and tear that may have been done to the internal components. but we cant even get a good idea yet if we cant get the engine to hold its oil and see if its the cause of all this, or just a symptom of whatever happened when i was on the road.

So does anyone know where the oil could be spraying out from, like some pressure line or something. im clueless, and am having a hard time finding schematics of anykind online.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:58 PM

head gasket/cracked head. check the oil pressure sensor to make sure that''s not the source of the problem. That would be an easy fix. definitely find where the oil is actually coming from if you can. I''m wagering that it''s the oil pressure sensor though since it''s on a pressurized line. if there''s coolant in the oil, you have a cracked head gasket or cracked head/block. It doesn''t always come from overheating. I''ve seen hairline fractures in metal give way after 100K miles (this was on the cam support in a dodge) so I know it can happen. if the oil pressure sensor fell out/apart it would do exactly what your describing. Hopefully the lack of lube while you got off the road didn''t hurt anything.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:39 PM

Thanks, im hoping its got to do with the sensor, and pressure line. My dad seems to think it will be the magic fix and the car will at least be runnning enuff to get me where i need to go. But it seems to me, the oil thing came later. The engine basically overloading on the road, causing me to pull over seems to have happened first. because when

i checked the oil whilewaiting 2 hrs for my ride to come save me. I had some free time to smell, check the oil, and look if anything was leaking underneath, lol. And i had oil then. I dono. This is so weird. But i distincly hear a lifter and knocking. But it did kind of subside for about a nano second before the POP and oil came splurging out. Maybe i will be able to get it running at least. Ive heard people drive with a knock. I am going to hate it tho. I reallly loved this cougar and i babied it. So its so weird this happened. I only had it 4 months tho. it coulda been a ticking timb bomb.

So far, no coolant mixing. Radiator is green and clean since the day i flushed it out when i bought the car. The oil that spilled into the oil pan was DARK black and watery and barely any was there. Then after the oil change, and it sprayed out. The oil all over the end of my street was clean, but a little light brownish tint but it looked like it was from the Spraying. Not milky from coolant. im glad i did this on my dead end street and not my driveway. Such a Mess.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:37 PM

I''d check the tranny cable at the throttle body to make sure it''s not messed up. if the transmission is hanging low in the gears and causing the engine to rev high, it may be too tight and need to be loosened a bit (this can be a time consuming process to dial it in) or the valve may be sticking in the transmission itself and may need to be services and flushed and possibly de-lacquered. If there''s build up in the valve body, it would cause all kinds of crap to happen with shifting.