Cougar Discuss all years of the Mercury Cougar here...

Cougar v6 to v8

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Default Cougar v6 to v8

Got a couple questions on swapping out 3.8 to 5.0. Just wonderin on clearance issues I might run into, motor mounts, and transmission. Which mounts to use and would it be possible to swap in a five speed. I know that the SC came with a 5 Speed so my question is, is it possible to use a borg Warner 5 speed? The car is a 1990. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:37 PM

I am sorry to say that i have no idea on this.I am new here and just about to get my mercury car.may be some one else can help you.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:07 AM

it is possible you would have to get off of a thunder bird the three pedals and the senter console off of a thunderbird. the center peace of course and go from there. i would get the power train out of a mustang do to it will fit under the hood better as well as the five speed and the electrical. the engin should be no more than 300 pushing 400 for the computer and wiring as well as the trans the good part there will be very little tweeking to the car i had to do the same thing for the trans. but it was already the v8 model but it wold not be that hard with some friends helping