Cougar Discuss all years of the Mercury Cougar here...

newbie alert newbie alert!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 05:51 PM

< =""><!
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//></>hey all, i just picked up a 99 cougar with the 2.5L v6 and the MTX. second day i had it, i broke that little dogbone linkage between the two levers that open the throttle body. cables from pedal, and cruise control connect to lever #1, it links to lever #2, (which actually opens the throttle blade in throttle body) the linkage is a small plastic piece that is held on two pins with e-clips. i have been using combinations of zip ties, and small metal brackets, but i keep breaking them or slowly start to lose the ability to use WOT. bottom line, anyone kno of an aftermarket replacement for the piece or the throttle body itself? any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 PM

you are out of luck. they stopped making these and have shipped them over to Japan to be made for cheaper.[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Old 09-07-2008, 11:13 PM

just kidding dude, you can get this at any parts store in the midwest. where are you located?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:26 PM

im in california , sacramento area. i actually fixed the linkage issue.... but a bigger throttle body never hurts!!!! now i have a new problem..... this started after i did the linkage repair (remove throttle body, cut and drill a piece of metal to size, installed) now, when ever i start the car after sitting for anywhere between 1 and 12 hours (time does not matter) and i drive away, the throttle is great. now, the moment i hit wot, the car pulls great and sounds awesome all the way to redline for the first one or two gears.... then the car kinda shudders, and the engine like, looses power. after that, until i stop[ the car and shut it off, the car just feels short on power. the engine will rev to redline, but it just does not have the giddy up it should. it drive s fine, just feels like a four banger and not a V6. oh, and there is no MIL light on...... anyhelp i can get is great.... thanks man< =""><!
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//>
</>

Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 PM

Did you connect all the sensors?

I am thinking..........does this have a TPS and IAC sensors? We need to find out if your car has a TPS (throttle position sensor) a bad one will do the things you said and if this sensor is adjustable, you could of moved it so now it is not reading correctly when the throttle is suppose to go back down. This in return retards the computer timming because you are not getting the poper air/fuel when it is not adjusted.

So here is wht to do, lookl for this sensor that is on the throttle body you were playing with. try to see if the two screws will allow this to be adjusted. try to see if you can tell see were it was, otherwise you will need a scan tool to get a reading.

I am pretty sure it is a sensor on the throttle body area since this is were you were fixxing around. Can you post a picture? I can help better if I can see it