General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2001 MGM stalls at idle when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:38 PM

I think a faulty coil is going to misbehave warm or cold. An injector on the other hand might. A cylinder misfire is not usually intermittent, is it? As for oil, I am a pro-synthetic but have doubts that the oil''s weight will make it stall. Any viscosity variations due to cold temps will cause a little engine noise upon start-up. That is until the colder, thus thicker oil makes its way thru the engine and back to the pump. Have you plugged in and tried to pull trouble codes? The CEL does not need to be lit for codes to be stored. Keep on posting.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and I did replace the battery as it was a bit on the "getting old side: but it turned out to be the idle air motoor control

Old 12-16-2008, 07:22 PM

Ohhh, come on man! That diagnosis was my first response!!! SHEEESH! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] Edited by: conan312

Old 12-19-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by slymer
in that case, have you checked the wires leading to the coils to make sure none are frayed? also, if you think it may be a coil that giving you problems, try disconnecting one at a time until there''''''''s no difference from normal. then you''''''''ve found the bad one. This is not an approved method (I don''''''''t know if it will hurt anything, but it might). The best way would be to have some place test each coil with a tester - preferably cold, since it seems to work fine once it''''s warmed up a bit.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:31 PM

Wires look good.Tried swapping MAF sensor.Same condition.
Going to try new silicone boots and new springs next.
Otherwise I will have to pull the coils and test each one cold.
Wish me luck.
Thanks

Old 12-19-2008, 08:34 PM

Oh yeah,No check engine light and the code scanner will not show anything if light is not on.
Does anyone know if you can unplug the coils one at a time while running to determine which cylinder is misfiring?
Thanks

Old 12-19-2008, 09:46 PM

Yes, one at a time until you unplug one that does not seem to change the idle. (as Slymer suggested on page 1) Sheesh again! LOL!!! Good luck. Let us know.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by conan312
Yes, one at a time until you unplug one that does not seem to change the idle. (as Slymer suggested on page 1) Sheesh again! LOL!!! Good luck. Let us know.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:26 PM

Tried new silicone boots and new springs.No luck.Ohmed out the coils and all read about 5 ohms.Don''t know what they should read.

The 2 new coils checked the same so I assume they are all good.

I have replaced IAC valve and yet idle seems to act up on cold start.Will sometimes die if you just start it and let it idle.

Thinking maybe something in the engine management system

Old 12-24-2008, 04:58 PM

Okay, so you are saying the IAC motor was not a cure? I''m confused. Have u checked the TPS (throttle position sensor)?

Quick Reply: 2001 MGM stalls at idle when cold