General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

97 Mountaineer Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 07:35 PM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
Hi,

We have a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer. On a snowy day after travelling and rolling up and down both front door windows a few times during the trip, we stopped. When we restarted the vehicle, I noticed none of the windows would roll down and the dome lights didn't work.

The next day, I found fuse #27 (a 10-amp mini fuse)on the side dash fusebox blown. I replaced it. The dome lights came on and I rolled the driver's side window up and down a couple of times. All seemed fine. When I got out and shut the door, I just happened tonotice the dome light wasn't on as it usually is (with a delay to shut it off) and I checked the fuse and it was blown again. I removed the blown fuse and have not put a new one back in.

Any ideas on what could be causing this fuse to blow out of nowhere?

Short in a wire somewhere? Window motor although they all seem to be strong and working fine? The switch that senses when the door is shut? I have a feeling I'm going to have to pay somebody a lot of money to find out why this fuse is blowing, but thought maybe I could narrow it down based on what happened.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Old 12-14-2005, 01:02 PM

wire for dome/int. light is black w/blue stripe. I would first check wattage of bulb to make sure you are not overloading the circuit,then,trace wire to see any faults.

Old 12-15-2005, 03:35 AM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
SymRealOnLoad();
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

//-->
</>
We haven't changed any dome light bulbs, so that shouldn't be a problem. Wife reported today that when she hits the "Lock" button on the driver's armrest, the dome light comes on.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:49 AM

Sounds like a "cross" inside door panel. Take off door panel,inspect all conections for water,especially inside the door window switches.It sounds like you might have gotten snow (melted) into the switch assembly,crossing the pin connections.

Old 12-17-2005, 03:09 AM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
SymRealOnLoad();
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

//-->
</>
I decided to mess with the problem some more to try to narrow it down since this is probably something I won't be fixing myself. I thought I might come up with something that would narrow it down for the shop and save me some money.

When I put a new fuse in, the dome lights come on and I rolled all the windows up and down several times. Everything was fine until I shut the door. When I did that, I againnoticed the dome light wasn't on.

So, apparently whenever we shut the door, the fuse blows, so I'm guessing maybe something wrong with the switch that tells when the door is shut, or maybe a wire is getting pinched where the wire bundles go from the vehicle body to the door?

Also, I noticed in the manual that there is no mention of a fuse or relay for the power windows anywhere. I can't imagine the power window motors would run on a 10-amp fuse.

Eric

Old 12-21-2005, 12:36 AM

PULL THE HARNESS THAT IS BETWEEN DRIVERS DOOR AND PILLAR YOU WILL PROBABY FIND WIRES BROKEN IN THIS HARNESS THIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM IVE WORKED FOR FORD FOR 23 YRS