General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Brakes - Front Semi Metallic Rear Organic - is this ok?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Question Brakes - Front Semi Metallic Rear Organic - is this ok?

Due to cost and time I had to split my brake job on my 97 grand marquis into 2 different weekends, first weekend I bought 2 front rotors and a set of pads from oreilly auto store whos website is http://www.oreillyauto.com

The pads were

Brake Best Part Number: MKD659
* Front
* Brake Best Semi-Metallic Pad
* OE Recommended Material

So this weekend I went in with last weeks receipt to show them what I put on front (to get the proper rears) and explained clearly the fronts were semi metallics, yet they said this is what the computer said was for my rears.

Brake Best - Brake Pad Part Number: D674
* Rear
* Organic
* Non Police With Steel Piston

The organic part kinda threw me, figured since I had semi metallics on front the rears would be semi metallics too, but they just said no - these are what you need.

Once I got home i hit the website entered my car info in 97 grand marquis v8 and it showed for the rears there is a semi metallic set but it says police package (that I know of this car has no police package etc).

So I am just wondering if it is safe / right / ok to use these organics on the back and semi metallics on the front?

Also what makes a pad police package vs non police package (would those semi metallics for my model fit even tho they say police package)?

Thanks for any input,

Bill

Last edited by FTLOSM; 03-07-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:34 PM

The organic will wear out faster than semi-metallic would. Just keep an eye on them. you should feel more grip from the front brakes though. My experience is that semi-metallic grab better.

I think the police package uses a different size pad/caliper.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:48 PM

Called a different store (same chain) basically explaining how i have semi metallics on front and they sold me organics for the rear asking is that correct and ok safety wise to do, they assured me it was ok and safe to do so that makes me feel a bit better, will keep an eye on those rears to for early wear vs the fronts..

Bill

Old 03-09-2010, 04:49 PM

yeah... it's safe, the organics just tend to wear faster since they're made of softer stuff.