General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Changed VSS now what?

Old 05-12-2006, 12:29 PM

Hello all.

I recently aquired a 95 XR7 Cougar with the 4.6ltr V8. AODE? Not sure on the trans... But anyway, previous owner really didnt care for this car and it has needed quite a bit of work just to get it up to running smooth and stopping on command...lol Last thing on the list was getting the speedometer to work.

I changed the VSS and the speedo worked for all of about an hour. Before it completely stopped working it hunted around for the actual speed. After that incident it completely stopped working. Beyond changing the VSS I dont know what else to do. The plastic gear thing on the old VSS looked like brand new (green one) so I transferred it over to the new one. I did check the wiring and the actual plug before putting everything back together.

Is there some sort of sensor on the dash side too? Could the cruise control have anything to do with it? Anyone know the readings I should get on a voltmeter from the VSS?

So guys I am stumped. The car otherwise is perfectly fine, doesnt even waste gas. Any help would be really appreciated....

Thanks,

Demo