General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

New Member Need Electrical Help 1962 Merc Monterey

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Default New Member Need Electrical Help 1962 Merc Monterey

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the MM section. Here goes. I hope you guys or gals can help.

So I have a '62 Merc Monterey, was driving my daughter to University today about an hour away from home and about half way there I notice my blinkers aren't working, no horn, zero electrical. Car is running good though so I kept pushing on. I get to the school and unload, head out to go home and the car won't start. Got a boost and it started (difficult but it did roll over after about 10 minutes of charging). Heading home all blinkers and horn and other accessories are working until about 20 minutes into the drive and then again everything dies out.

The car ran fine again and got me home, but when I shut if off and tried to restart, nothing. just faint clicking. Last year I replaced the battery, and also the wires going from the solenoid to the battery, and battery to the block. (Neutral). My question is this, could my alternator be shot? The wires going off the solenoid to down to the alternator split off and some go to the starter while the other two? go to the alternator they seem brittle. Problem is I can't find a harness anywhere that I can use to replace.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

C

Old 09-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Oh I should add, I went to Part Source and the guy sold me two cables and said to wire direct to the starter with one, and direct to the alternator with the other. Problem is the alternator has two really small wires that go to the top, the cable he sold me has two open ring style cables. (Actually they are the same style cables I used last year when I replaced the battery.)

Old 09-02-2012, 10:39 PM

over 24 hours no answer? Terrible forum. Moving elsewhere./