General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Possible Ignition Coil Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 04:34 PM
Default Possible Ignition Coil Failure?

Hello,

I have a 1998 tracer (4 cyl, 2.0) that has error codes p0303 and p0304 (cyl misfire).

Was driving fine, no issues but when I went to start it after running errands, it could barley run with me giving it all the gas I could. Since I'm pretty sure I didn't loose 2 spark plugs by turning off the car, was wondering if it could be the Ignition Coil failing? This coil is basically one unit with 4 outputs to the plugs. My experience is with ignition modules, not coils. On a module, the entire thing just fails and you are dead in the road. Is it possible that it failed in for just two of the outputs? Definitely not firing, plugs are covered in gas on the suspect cylinders.

thanks,
Spline64

Old 04-25-2020, 10:44 AM
Default Ignition Coil Failure ??

Originally Posted by Spline64
Hello,

I have a 1998 tracer (4 cyl, 2.0) that has error codes p0303 and p0304 (cyl misfire).

Was driving fine, no issues but when I went to start it after running errands, it could barley run with me giving it all the gas I could. Since I'm pretty sure I didn't loose 2 spark plugs by turning off the car, was wondering if it could be the Ignition Coil failing? This coil is basically one unit with 4 outputs to the plugs. My experience is with ignition modules, not coils. On a module, the entire thing just fails and you are dead in the road. Is it possible that it failed in for just two of the outputs? Definitely not firing, plugs are covered in gas on the suspect cylinders.

thanks,
Spline64
Hello, Spline, and welcome to the Mercury Forums.
3 steps needed.
1. Check that plugs are not fouled and are gapped properly.
2. Continuity test the ignition wires. Factory wires were carbon-core type, and often failed. Suggest replacement with BOSCH "Mag-Core" wires.
3. Remove ignition coil, clean it thoroughly, and test coil resistance with VOA meter. If out of spec, replace the coil.
RockAuto.com for the best selection and prices on plugs, wires, and coils.
Good Luck !

Bosch Mag-Core Plug Wires # 09725. Out-performs and Out-lasts O.E.M. Ignition Wires.