General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Seafoam?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:47 PM

Has anyone ever used Seafoam in their Mercury before? Did you face any problems? Did you have any benefits?

Thanks,
Sable-Owner

Old 04-17-2008, 08:11 PM

Hi Redsox. Been using Seafoam for years, both the transmission and fuel additives. It may or may not have been related but I put the trans additive in my '94 Grand Marquis when the tranny started acting up on a trip and the slipping ceased and never acted up again. Use the fuel additive too also running it through the pcv system. I have found it now being carried by Autozone and Parts America whereas I only used to find it at Napa. I usually don't believe in additives but would recommend Seafoam.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:56 PM

I have used it also. it is great. I connected a can through my main brake booster to clean out the injectors, carbon. It worked great. you can also put it in the oil and the gas. I really felt a difference in the car. i have 269K miles on my 1998 Grand marquis and it helped me from changing the injectors.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:28 PM

I haven't used it in my MGM but I used it in my old dodge (fuel additive) all the time and it worked great...

...only particular reason for never using it in my MGM was because I bought it yesterday...lol. [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2008, 07:58 AM

I swear by Seafoam whenever you need to clean a system...Put some in the fuel tank,carb,oil,vacuum lines...Basically any lines that travel through the motor with the exception of coolant lines and heater lines...But be warned,your vehicle will smoke for a bit,but that''s natural with Seafoam...

Old 06-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

having used seafoam and other fuel treatments, i would still rther take time to pull the upper intake off my cars to get a proper cleaning. the smoke it produces is just from the seafoam burning up. i have pulled the upper intakes from my girlfriends 1989 Crown Vic and her sons 1986 Grand Marq. i used a smaller brass brush and some carb cleaner to clean the upper intake and lower ports. after reassembling, the cars were blowing black smoke for a few minutes due to the carbon i had cleaned up and brushed in the lower intake. unless you are getting black smoke for a few minutes, you aint getting the carbon cleaned up. my girlfriends Crown Vic now pulls over 25mpg on the highway.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by 87_Crown_Vic
the smoke it produces is just from the seafoam burning up.

The smoke is from all the gunk deposits in your engine getting cleaned out. Over time your upper/lower intake fiills with sludgy oil vapor from your pcv/breather and slowly chokes off your air. We all know that the valve seals on the modular motors tend to leak casuing a small smoking issue after 100k which adds to the carbon on top of the piston. Any carbon that builds up on the top of the piston is just robbing you of power and making your tail pipe emissions go sky hi.(lean misfire)I have the bennefit of a baroscope and after a can of seafoam and a couple of hi rev passses out on the street the pistons are noticibly cleaner not to mention anyclogging ect in the cat that has been incinerated. Sure nothing beats a through cleaning but this stuff is in my opinion just as good.Edited by: scott89racin