General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Simulated Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:58 AM

<DIV>Anybody know how to do gold leafing, but make it look like chrome? I want to repair the simulated chrome on my door panels</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>.</DIV>

Old 09-26-2007, 02:35 PM

I am looking at the same procedure, my hubcaps need to be "re-chromed" again.

I checked witch various shops, and no, they can only do metal, and even then only certain kinds of. No plastic.

However, I was told last week to go to a home improvement place which has his own contractors/workers doing the work (so no Menards or place like that). They also do all the decorations around homes, and do this procedure which they referred to "leafing", in pretty much any color you want.

I yet have to find a place like that, or catch them or their vehicle when on tour.

Hope this helps. Check with a Realtor, they should be able to get you names or contacts.

Greetings!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:05 PM

I've tried chrome pinstripe tape, but it won't bend around the corners and peels up. There is/was a place upnear my that paints almost anything chrome. I know they were at a car show a couple years ago.They did anything from bumpers to toilets. I might have to see if thery're still around.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by 92Mercury

I am looking at the same procedure, my hubcaps need to be "re-chromed" again.

I checked witch various shops, and no, they can only do metal, and even then only certain kinds of. No plastic.

92Mercury,

Contact this place. http://snschrome.com/I'm waiting to here back from them to see if they can do my door panels. I've seen some of there work at a local car show, and was prettyimpressed.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:07 PM

I tried the pinstripe tape, too. Have to re-do the trim panel around the dashboard. Did not work too well, like you send, doesn't bend too well.

Thanks for the link. Looks interesting. Will give them a call tomorrow. Seeing the prices for a wheel, doing my hubcaps might rather be expensive, might just switch to alloy wheels.

But, you never know.

Greetings!

Old 09-28-2007, 03:44 PM

92Mercury,

Here is an idea that my dad turned me on to. Go down to your local hobby store that deals with radio control airplanes. Look at a product called Monokote. Come in all different flavor of colors including chrome. Goes on with a small iron. It might work for your hubcaps. It's used to cover wings of radio control airplanes. I'm going to try monokote trim sheets for my door panels. This is a self stick product. My dad says that an iron might help it stick a bit better. Of course, wit hthis product it will sow any and all imperfections.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the tip, I heard about it.

Unfortunately:

[img]uploads/92Mercury/ad9a_1.jpg[/img]

Know what I mean? [img]smileys/smiley8.gif[/img]

Greetings!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 AM

Yea, I see what you mean. Here's how my door panel came out.

[img]uploads/HarvestGold/door_panel_rechromed_2_400x300.jpg[/img]

Old 10-02-2007, 02:51 AM

Looks very nice. Is this with the monokote?

Greetings!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:39 AM

Yes, It's called Monokote trim sheets. Peel and stick, very thin so it will show any imperfections.

Can't think of any other ideas for you hubcaps though. If I hear o fanything, I'll let you know.

Quick Reply: Simulated Chrome