General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Warranty Help

Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Default Warranty Help

Hello Everyone, Im new to this forum and need your help. My wife has a 2008 Mercury Mariner premier, V6, with 54,000 miles on it. Just recently the transmission cooler started leaking, I took this into the dealer and they advised that they did find a leak in the condensor and it would not be covered under warranty, they want $800 to put a new one on. I may be wrong but under the power trane warranty, (60,000 mile warranty) should this be covered. If the warranty covers any lubricated part and the cooler is lubricated by transmission fluid, shouldn't his be covered. Thanks everyone for you help and for having a forum for these questions.

Thanks Officer Coy Brown.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:37 PM

They usually don't cover damage from rocks, so if a rock kicked up by another vehicle damaged the transmission cooler, then that won't be covered. If they said condenser, that's the air-conditioner's radiator (so to speak). If it is the transmission cooler (an additional one and not the kind that cool by connecting to the radiator), that should be a really easy fix (take off the busted one, get an aftermarket one or the part from Ford, bolt the replacement in, and top off the transmission fluid). Before attempting this though, make sure which part it really is and just how hard it is to get to. Most auxiliary transmission coolers I've seen are pretty easy to get to from just behind the bumper from below. Sometimes this requires removing a plastic shroud that attaches to the bumper and lower tie bar. If it involves the transmission cooler, I would ask that they show you the damage to it so that you can make sure that it's not covered under warranty (and maybe also have them show you the clause in the warranty that states that rock damage is not covered).

Old 02-22-2010, 04:56 PM

Hi,I'm a Ford tech.
I've actually done several of these jobs,and they were the first I had seen like this.
The trans cooler is actually built into the condensor on alot of those models now.
I have seen several come in that had debris come up into the condensor and break the cooler side.
Unfortunately none of the repair will be covered under warranty due to debris. We have no issues with these coolers otherwise,they are actually an excellent design (and I hate fords).
The High price isn't simply the condensor,on your model you must actually remove the entire front fascia and radiator to remove the condensor if I remember the last one I did correctly.
On top of this,we must also drain your entire radiator/refill and probrably alot of the cost-discharging and recharging your AC condensor.

Hope this clues you in about some of the reasons for the costs.
Just keep in mind,it's only $800 to keep the $30k truck on the road.
High dollar repairs are about in line with maintaining a higher dollar model.
Unfortunate part about wanting the latest and greatest,is paying for it.