Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

1986 Marquis Misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Default 1986 Marquis Misfiring

hey guys,
I got to pick some brains quick.
I'm not sure what is going on but here is a quick scenario:

Ill be driving and then all a sudden my car spits and sputters jerks and does not run right. It will sometimes die when i slow down and stop then its hard to get started again. I need to do a fuel pressure check and all that but anyone have this problem and what did you do to fix it? I noticed that it acts up much more when its raining and if i go into a puddle on the right side of my car, it will for sure act up. It wont start for a while. I thought that i would get the hose out and slowly isolate the problem. I hosed certain sections of the engine down and tried to get it to work. Never missed a beat. I hosed the whole thing down then all a sudden it acts up. I checked spark and it was still getting spark from the coil to the distributor. I replaced it thinking it was getting wet. still happening. I also noticed that the #6 injector is ticking and making a lot of noise. I dont hear it from any or the other injectors. When i hooked my car up to my scan tool, no codes were found and I did a KOEO and nothing I also did a KOER and still nothing. I am just kinda baffled. getting spark, but car is running like crap. What could be getting wet that would cause this?

anyway, the car is a 86 5.0L
any help would be greatly appreciated.

stuff thats new:

CAP
ROTOR
PLUGS
WIRES
ALT
BREAKS
WHEELS
HUBS
BEARINGS

also, i noticed that the distributor screw was loose, I tightened it up but now its got a problem cause i think that timing is off now. Anyone have a timing spec?

THANKS A TON!
John

Old 08-10-2010, 06:28 AM

i just started loving the gran marquis but i had an 86 ls and it sounds to me like a vacuum leak. i had the same problem and hooked up the smoke machine and found it quick. if not just rebuild the whole vacuum system or if it has a carb rebuild that but my 86 had efi.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

in order to adjust timing you have to remove the spout connector... after removing set the timing to 12-14 degrees... you have to adjust timing with spout connector out or it dont get timed right...
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:1,s:0

and site i belong to about these cars also... lots of useful info...
http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=21502

Old 08-28-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by craka D
i just started loving the gran marquis but i had an 86 ls and it sounds to me like a vacuum leak. i had the same problem and hooked up the smoke machine and found it quick. if not just rebuild the whole vacuum system or if it has a carb rebuild that but my 86 had efi.

OK. I hate to sound dumb but...what is a smoke machine?

Old 08-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

smoke machine is a tool that creates smoke that you hook up to a vacuum line and look for possible leaks in the system