Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

1990 GM 5.0L Another spark plug ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Default 1990 GM 5.0L Another spark plug ?

Hello experts, my "new" 90 Merc is in dire need of plugs. Got the left side in w/o to much trouble. Right side very obstructed. The question is should I take off the air components, check valves, valve assembly and hoses for access?
The one plug i was able to get a wrench on (rear) was frozen and I don'w want to break any with poor angles on the wrenches. Penetrating spray is applied, just need the experts system.

Help appreciated,
70 yr old guy with tools

Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 PM

I use either a spark plug socket that has a swivel end attached or spark plug socket with a universal attached...then I attach that to various extensions combining to get a length just right to slide between things from a higher height to get the proper angle on the plug. Extensions with "locking" socket ends are handy too. When you install the new plugs just add a touch of anti-seize to the threads to make them easier to remove next time.

Guy who has spend too much time working on Ford's/Mercury's

Last edited by EddieE; 02-17-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Default Thanks Eddie,

I'll give it another try, maybe penetrating spray has taken effect.
Thanks again, appreciate the help,
bob

Originally Posted by EddieE
I use either a spark plug socket that has a swivel end attached or spark plug socket with a universal attached...then I attach that to various extensions combining to get a length just right to slide between things from a higher height to get the proper angle on the plug. Extensions with "locking" socket ends are handy too. When you install the new plugs just add a touch of anti-seize to the threads to make them easier to remove next time.

Guy who has spend too much time working on Ford's/Mercury's

Old 02-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Default Success

Just a wrap up in case someone else has this trouble.

The access issue is solved by loosening and removing the air hose to left side manifold pipe.

Unbolting the air valve and this lets you push the whole assemble out of your way. The right rear was frozen and two nights of penetrating spray and switching to a 1/2 in drive for more torque did the job.

Thanks,
Bob

Originally Posted by bobtucson
I'll give it another try, maybe penetrating spray has taken effect.
Thanks again, appreciate the help,
bob