Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

2001 grand marquis GS starting problems

Old 04-23-2018, 11:40 AM
Default 2001 grand marquis GS starting problems

Yesterday I went to the store, when done shopping I went to start the car and it wouldn't start, just kept turning over. I tried multiple times and it just would turn over no ignition. Finally wore the battery down and called a neighbor who came and towed me home. Put aa charger on it over night. Next morning I put my code reader on the car and everything was normal, no problems. I turned the key and the car started right away! Has anybody had this problem ? I am concerned about going anywhere cause I fear this will happen again. Any Thoughts???? Thanks

Old 04-24-2018, 09:06 AM

To service the battery and erase all previous codes, disconnect both battery cables (negative first).
Soak the battery cable terminals (cable ends) in a quart of water per tablespoon of baking soda.
Wash the battery BEFORE removing the cell covers.
Remove the cell covers and check the individual cells for specific gravity and fluid level. You will need a good hydrometer --
there's a new type that is very accurate and needs no temperature compensation.
Put the charger on a SLOW charge -- the automatic chargers reduce the charge rate as the battery regains strength -- no danger of cooking your expensive battery.
When your battery is fully charged and the water levels correct, re-install your battery.
Clean the Battery Terminals and the Cable Ends with a wire brush to get rid of any corrosion.
I suggest installing a pair of those "Terminal Protector Rings" -- red and green felt rings with anti-corrosives.
When it's all clean , hook it up. Any remaining codes will be fully cleared by now.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the info but that is not the problem, the problem is the car not starting and there being no issues from the from the code reader.. then miraculously the car started next morning after doing nothing to it

Old 04-24-2018, 03:10 PM

No miracles, Wardo --
Your car didn't start.
You charged the battery over-night.
Car started in the morning, AFTER charging the battery -- and doing nothing else.
There are no codes to indicate a weak or dead battery, therefore no codes on the code reader.
The code readers don't show bad connections or a bad starter, either. Either of those issues COULD be a problem,
but step 1 is to make CERTAIN that the battery is in as-new condition and fully charged.
As a former Production Supervisor for EXIDE Battery Company (ESB), I suggest you perform the battery test as I had described.
Then you will KNOW the exact condition of each cell of your 12-volt battery, and have no fear of unexpected starting problems.
The starters on the big FOMOCO sedans are awsomely reliable -- but low voltage from the battery will shorten their life considerably.
Miracles are REALLY hard to come by, man -- Take proper care of your battery, and you won't need a miracle. ;>)