Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

2005 steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Default 2005 steering problem

i have a 2005 grand marquis and the steering binds while turning could this be the power steering pump going bad or something else open for suggestion anyone

Old 03-15-2011, 01:36 AM

Could be the pump or the steering gear. Most people don't have the means to check the pump pressure to determine if it is the pump. The pump is easier to replace to see if that works. If it doesn't improve then I would look at the steering gear.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:47 PM

Funny how I have the same problem (just happened tonight) - I changed out the power steering fluid using two quarts of Mercon V Motorcraft Transmission Fluid/Power Steering Fluid by removing the old fluid little by little using a turkey baster then putting in new fluid and moving the wheel from stop to stop 8 - 10 times then repeating the process and it immediately improved the steering - will monitor the situation....

Last edited by kms250; 03-15-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Smile A little advice

Do your homework before you jump to the conclusion your power steering pump is bad. Here's what happened to me (2001 Grand Marquis). I was backing out the drive one day and I cut the wheels into my turn around at the end of drive, I turned the wheel back and BINGO while turning the wheel I was getting this hard to steer feeling and binding. Now I'm a pretty good back yard mechanic and always do my probing and troubleshooting before I go buying parts, NOT THIS TIME, I just assumed it was the power steering pump, WRONG ! I replaced the pump and the problem was still there and to make things worse I used an aftermarket pump and now I also had a whine. Replaced the pump again, this time OEM, (yup it cost more) now the whine is gone but not the binding and hard steering. THE SOLUTION: It was a bad knuckle in the intermediate steering shaft ! That's the shaft that goes from the firewall to the steering box. Replaced it and ALL IS GOOD.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:17 AM

I also found a weak belt tensioner (determined by pressing on the belt with my thumb between the alternator and power steering pump and saw the belt tensioner move easily 2" or so while doing this - replaced the tensioner and it's nice and taught now; can only make the tensioner move less than an inch while pressing even harder on the belt. So for me with the 2005 Grand Merc with 105,000 miles on it - it was a combination of replacing the fluid with the correct fluid and the belt tensioner.

Last edited by kms250; 03-20-2012 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 PM

i have a 97 gm, had sort of the same prob. turns out my tie rod ends were binding. they would catch in a wear spot. to check this just remove the ends and move them around by hand and u will be able to tell instantly if they are binding. hope this helps

Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Smile steering problem

well guys thanks for all the tips great advice after trouble shooting i found to have several problems 1 was the steering joint on the shaft bad and my tensioner was bad we are back to smooth steering thanks again forum

Old 02-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Default 2004 gm

I am having the same problem on my 2004 Gm ,but only when cold. After warm up there is no binding.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:13 PM

From 2005 up CV's & GM's had steering shaft failure issues. When the part begins to fail it can cause looseness, binding, and no return to center problems after making turns. When you check it out and if you find out that this is indeed the problem get the newer version, a replacement that has an integrated u-joint. There are many of the original parts that fail again still on the market being sold. If replaced, do not allow the steering wheel to rotate while the steering column intermediate shaft is disconnected or damage to the clockspring can result. If there is evidence that the steering column shaft has rotated, the clock spring must be removed and re-centered.

Last edited by EddieE; 02-25-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:47 AM

I now have hard steering at low speed, I have caused this problem my self I beleive. I pried the dash back mostly on the passenger side to get to my blend door controller and replace the acuator. AC works great now, but steering is too hard for my wife to drive. Someone said I may have dissconnted or damaged a VAPS module nead the steering column, I cant seem to find it. Any one have a picture or a good story on how to find this Vaps module? I also loosened a bolt on the first U joint fron the steering wheel possibily turned the shaft while it was loose. OK not the best things to have done but at least I'm smart enough to to the truth so somone smarter can help me undo what I've done

Quick Reply: 2005 steering problem