Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

2009 grand marquis transmission plug and filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 08:09 PM
Default 2009 grand marquis transmission plug and filter Change

Hi first post! We bought a 2009 GM with 78000 miles on it, I’m asking for the best procedure for changing the fluid and filters, and a part number for a drain plug. I did see that the torque converter does not have a drain plug after 2001.Thanks

Old 11-26-2019, 04:48 AM

Why not just upgrade the pan to one with a drain plug? Rock Auto has several to choose from.

I have been able to pull the pan and filter off and let drain for a couple days in the garage.I get about half of the fluid. Since you can do only a partial change, after a couple weeks, you can do another partial change. You can either pull the plug from your new oil pan, draw up fluid with a suction pump through the dipstick tube or drop the pan again. Myself, I would avoid the last one.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:39 AM

Thanks, looking on Rock auto now

Old 11-26-2019, 06:59 AM

I seen that some put a shift kit in, is that advised, and are there two filters?

Old 11-26-2019, 10:01 AM
Default Transmission Filters - Drain Plug

Hello, JimD, and welcome to the Mercury Forums -- and thanks for including your location.
Your 2009 has two (2) Transmission Filters -- the Pan Filter --- Motorcraft part #FT-105, comes with NO gasket. Clean and re-use the original gasket.
There's also an In-Line Filter -- Motorcraft part #FT-183.
Two (2) ways to approach the Transmission Drain Plug -- Buy a new Pan that has a Drain Plug -- easiest, most expensive, LOSS of ground clearance.
OR, you can install a B&M Trans Drain Plug Kit -- cheapest, requires drilling, leaks if not done carefully, NO LOSS of ground clearance.
The 95 MERC has a different tranny than your 2009 -- I have a torque converter drain plug, and only one (1) trans filter. I installed the B&M Trans Drain Plug by SOLDERING it in place, to insure against leaks. It works -- no leaks.
Your Motorcraft Pan Filter has a "Made-In-USA" filter element (FILTRAN) -- excellent filtering -- I change the pan filter at the FOMOCO-recommended 35,000 miles.
Tip: When removing the Pan Filter, BE SURE to remove the red rubber gasket from the valve body.
If the drained fluid is a deep, rich, red color -- and smells like new fluid, I just replace the amount of fluid that was drained.
When replacing the Trans Fluid, be careful -- DO NOT OVER-FILL !!
When you remove the Trans Pan, check and clean the internal ceramic magnet, if fitted.
I have installed a B&M Shift Improver Kit -- Heavy Duty mode -- shifts are more positive, less lag, good for mountain driving.
Excellent results from using CASTROL Mercon V Trans Fluid.
Keep us posted.

"Italian Lace" Wheels, Goodyear ComforTread Touring Tires - 98T

Last edited by 95 MERC; 11-26-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by JimD
Thanks, looking on Rock auto now
Forgot to mention.....You will lose about 1/4 inch road clearance because of the drain plug. I just put some extra air in the tires to make up for it.......

Old 11-27-2019, 10:27 AM
Default Transmission Plug & Filter Change

Originally Posted by JimD
Hi first post! We bought a 2009 GM with 78000 miles on it, I’m asking for the best procedure for changing the fluid and filters, and a part number for a drain plug. I did see that the torque converter does not have a drain plug after 2001.Thanks
Sorry, Jim -- I din't notice your request for the Drain Plug part number.
B&M Universal Drain Plug Kit -- Part # 80205
I installed the drain plug on the BACK SIDE (rear) of the trans pan to avoid ANY loss of ground clearance, which is about 7/8ths " when plug and fluid are installed.
Doesn't matter much on a truck, but it counts big on our long-wheelbase, low-slung sedans.
The pans with the plugs already installed have the least ground clearance of all options.
Let your conscience be your guide ;>

'95 MERC Engine Bay

Old 11-27-2019, 10:54 AM
Default Road Clearance

Originally Posted by raski
Forgot to mention.....You will lose about 1/4 inch road clearance because of the drain plug. I just put some extra air in the tires to make up for it.......
B&M Drain Plug, when installed using manufacturer's instructions, protrudes exactly 13/16ths" below the lower surface of the trans pan.
Aftermarket pans with drain plug already installed reduce ground clearance by 1 1/8th ". These pans are OK for trucks, but not for low-slung sedans.
And you say: "I just put some extra air in the tires to make up for it....."
You'd better stick to electronics -- you're gonna get somebody killed.
Here's that Spark Plug information that you requested:

Old 12-03-2019, 06:39 PM

Where is the location of the external Transmission filter on a 2009?

Old 12-04-2019, 09:28 AM
Default In-Line Transmission Filter

The external (in-line) trans filter is fitted to cars with TOWING PACKAGE. Filter is mounted in the "HOT- to-radiator" fluid line.
If your car doesn't have the in-line filter -- but you WANT one, there is a Motorcraft In-Line Filter Installation Kit available from RockAuto.

'95 MERC Engine Bay

Quick Reply: 2009 grand marquis transmission plug and filter Change