Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

2011 Mercry LX Engine Knock

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Glyn
I understand about the anti drain back valve. I always use Motorcraft FL`820S and Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic engine oil.
There is nothing wrong with your selections. Both are good products.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:40 AM

thanks guys

Old 08-10-2019, 09:32 AM

I got my 3410 filter on ups yesterday. since i just changed my oil in the mercury a month ago, i might just do a quick swap on the filter, then top off the oil and see if it's any better instead of sending it back. the filter was $4.95

Old 08-13-2019, 02:42 PM
Default Oils & Filters

Originally Posted by raski
You should have your facts straight.
1. yes the Bosch is rated higher in efficiency compared to the FL820S. If you want the best in efficiency, the Fram Ultra is rated at 99.9% at removing particles sized at 20 microns.
2. Your claim of a lower bypass valve rating in the Motorcraft not correct. According to Bosch's specs, the bypass rating is 8-16 psi. which is very vague.Filter makers match the pressure ratings of the OEM spec.The Motorcraft FL820S is rated at 12 psi. and is a base mounted valve which is better than a dome mounted valve found on the Bosch and most other makes. Why is this better? When the filter goes into bypass which it does on a cold winter start. Oil which is bypassed does so in the base of the filter instead of flowing across the dirty side of the filter media. Some trapped dirt on the media surface will get picked up and sent back into the engine when the filter is in bypass.
3. to say the Motorcraft is only good for 3000 miles is pure nonsense,I run them all the time for 5k miles, cut them open and everything is fine inside..What is supposed to happen after 3k miles? Practically any filter is capable of going 5000 miles.If you want efficiency along with long service life, the Fram Ultra is even more efficient than the Bosch and the manufacturer claims 20k mile service life.I wouldn't run anything that long but a 10k run is very realistic when taking full advantage the longer run times of synthetic.

There is nothing to get excited about with a SN+ rating with oil.To say that Supertech full synthetic is comparable to Mobil 1 without knowing the exact formulations between the two is simply an opinion. SN+ simply means less calcium and more magnesium is formulated in the oil.The spec was developed for low speed detonation issues found with turbocharged engines.Most engines do not fall into that category. The new spec offers no increase in antiwear properties.The best web site for anyone wanting to learn more about their particular oil should check out.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/
I never see any facts with your responses and are misleading, only your factless opinions.
Sorry for the delayed response, but I have a life outside the Mercury Forums.
Regarding my prior recommendations, based on price, performance, and availability:
OK, you started with the oil filters, so --
1.- I chose the Bosch #3410 for it's ALL-AROUND performance -- a combination of 20-micron filtering, dirt-holding capacity, silicone valve, relief spring pressure, and observed longevity.
The Bosch #3410 features 20-Micron filtering.
The Fram Ultra has 20-40 Micron range. It is NOT a 20-Micron filter.
The Fram Ultra has a 12-psi relief spring, as you say.
The Bosch #3410's relief spring has a NOMINAL of 12 psi, which you didn't seem to notice.
The Fram Ultra costs 40% more than the Bosch #3410, when purchased at the same store.
I have no use for extended oil-change-intervals, as the Oil and Filter are changed at 5,000-mile intervals, which I recommend when using the oil/filter combination as above.

As for the Engine Oil --
As I said above, the SuperTech from WalMart is COMPARABLE to the Mobil 1 -- COMPARABLE, because they are not IDENTICAL, and because they are VERY similar.
If YOU had used the link that you told ME to use, you would have found the charts for both the Mobil 1 AND the SuperTech -- and that they are, indeed, COMPARABLE; as in: the Mobil 1 has more Phosphorus; the SuperTech has more Zinc. Other than those differences, the oils are nearly identical.
AND, the SuperTech is approximately 30% less expensive than the Mobil 1 -- and it's available everywhere !!
Despite your ASSumptions and errors in comprehension, my recommendations based on price, performance, and availability stand as written.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:42 AM
Thumbs up Bosch 3410

Since I have changed to the Bosch filter, the cold knock has all but gone away. I will use Bosch 3410 from now on. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2020, 04:44 PM

still working fine! Merry Christmas!

Old 12-03-2020, 06:04 AM
Default No Knox !!

Glad to see that all is well -- Stay safe -- Stay well -- Stay HOME !!
Wear a mask -- keep your distance -- save someone's LIFE !!
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, too !!

Sleeping Beauty, Rolling Thunder

Last edited by 95 MERC; 12-03-2020 at 06:08 AM. Reason: content
Old 04-21-2021, 12:03 PM

2011 All original except battery, tires, and wiper blades. 51,000 miles

Old 04-23-2021, 09:35 AM
Default It's A Beauty !!

Originally Posted by Glyn

2011 All original except battery, tires, and wiper blades. 51,000 miles
You've got yourself a real beauty there, Glyn. Years of comfort and reliability await you. Good Luck !!
P.S. What brand/size of Tires are on there ??

Classic Style "Italian Lace" Wheels. Goodyear ComforTread Touring Tires.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:24 PM

Good Year Assurance. I wanted Michelin but they were out at the time. I buy my tires at Sams.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mercry LX Engine Knock