Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

88 Grand Marquis Project Status

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Default 88 Grand Marquis Project Status

Well it's not much, but I've got some sweat and a tiny bit of blood in her.

I got the 'tune up' done: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter.

She has a new battery, valve cover gaskets, upper plenum gasket, two new u joints (we broke one putting it in), a new cat and the whole set of tubes after that.

Two days ago I caught the scent of gasoline while she was warming up. I was kinda scared but it was just a tiny scent and I just made sure to pay attention. Yesterday, I got sent home from work early because my car was sick: puddles of gas underneath the front passenger door wherever I stopped.

I know I shouldn't have been driving because I didn't really know what was up, but I had my buddy do key on/key off a couple of times to work the fuel pump so that I might be able to see the gas squirting or leaking. I couldnt see anything in the engine, so I went ahead and drove.

I stopped at Dobbs Tires and Maintenance because I know a lot of the guys from the shop there. They helped me pinpoint the leak and told me to get some fuel line and compression fittings. That was the gist of their instruction.

So I went to the parts house and got the line and cut my leaky section out.

Now, here is the reason that I'm making this post:
The line that I got from the parts house was flared with some fittings on the end of it. I didn't know it, but I had to cut the ends off. That cost me a couple of hours of labor/trying to figure it out. I ended up googling into some plumbers info about joining copper pipes with compression fittings.

YOU HAVE TO CUT THAT FLARE OFF OF THE END OF THE LINE FROM THE PARTS HOUSE!! Why didnt they tell me that? ha. Thats OK.

Anyway, here's how you do it in case anyone searches and finds this post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9c5LWFI_M4
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-9c5LWFI_M4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-9c5LWFI_M4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

p.s. I have a new grill and front clip on the way!!!

compression fittings
fuel lines
brake lines

Old 11-25-2009, 02:51 PM

fuel leaks are no good. too much danger with that smoke emitting stuff (re: fire). Glad it's fixed. I'll have to check out the vid and any pics once I get home since I can't see any here at work.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:38 PM

yup... that's the way to do compression fittings... nice and tight. Then, of course, in your case, do an engine off key on pressure test to make sure all the leaks are gone.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

some states wont allow the pressure fittings like that... you are required to do flare fittings and such in some states due to inspections that states have. i am glad i dont have to worry about those inspections though