Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

92/95 taillights interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 02:28 PM

Just in case someone reads that and would know about it:

Will the (outer) taillights from a '95 fit on a '94 model?

I compared (as good as you can from images) the mounts and shape. The mounts seem to be identical, the arrangement of light bulbs is the same. The chrome trim is on top ('95) instead on the bottom, but the overall height is the same.

Mine are sort of worn, repainting the black stripes didn't work out too well. And I could get a hold of a pair '95 ones, fairly cheap. So I thought I give it a try, but don't want to spend the money up front.

You know how it is: If it works, you want the center part and so son, and then it is getting more expensive.

Any ideas?

Greetings!Edited by: 92Mercury

Old 10-27-2007, 08:56 PM

How cheap is cheap? I mean, if you're only talking about a few dollars it would be worth it just to find out. Especially with new ones being $120 each.

I'd almost be willing to bet that all the 92-97 taillights are a bolt in swap, with cosmeticchanges being the only difference. Edited by: BFM70

Old 10-28-2007, 04:02 AM

I can get a pair for $50. Just don't want to start if it doesn't work.

Otherwise, I'm willing to invest, and spend the saved money, see my original post. Cause then I want the matching middle part, have to blind out the plate holder in the bumper, maybe other bumper, yadda yadda yadda, you know.

I agree, even the edge line up to the middle part is identical, the shape around the corner as well.

Oh well, I guess I will have one ready to just pop out (plastic retainers are behind trunk carpet, and do a quick swap.

Thanks.

Greetings!

Old 10-28-2007, 10:36 PM

They are not interchangeable.

I did the "quick pop out". As suspected, the different chrome trim is the main issue. '92 to '95 models have it at the bottom, and a few inches are sticking out going underneath the trunk center panel.

'95 and later ones have the chrome trim on top, so the lights don't line up with the center piece, and leave a large gap open.

Looked really bad. Oh well, it was a thought.

My next project now is buffing the taillights to get rid of the black trim. I know, it's Mercury specific, it looks good. But I got a spare pair which is faded out already, so I want to try to see how it would look light. Might even put the punctured black out from the '95 ones on it. Will keep you posted.

Greetings!

Old 11-04-2007, 09:12 PM

you got a pic to see what you did with your tail light setup yet? just curious...

Old 11-05-2007, 12:03 AM

Not yet. I have some buffing solution which I used on my headlights, and it worked well.

However, even though the paint on the taillights is mostly faded out, it's extremely hard to get rid of the remains.

And I noticed that there is some clear trim on top of the lenses, which is then painted black.

Oh well, I keep buffing, and will post pictures then. Am curious myself on how it would look like.

Greetings!

Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 AM

yea i wanna see what they look like - tho im sure they'll be cool after u get em buffed down...

shame that the 95-97s wouldnt fit

Old 11-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Man...that's a bummer it didn't work. I'm surprised to find that those pieces were actually re-engineered given lack of difference in the body lines. Oh well, at least now we know. Kudo's to ya' for giving it a shot.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:20 AM

It's all abouttaste, I personally like the '95 and later style's better.

Many like the old one's with the vertical lines, as this is kind of a Mercury tradition, found on many models.

Maybe I run across a totaled one at some point in time, from which I can get the whole rear end (lights, center part, maybe bumper?).

Since I'd like to have the clear headlights as well, I might just think about eventually switching to a newer model, as the conversion would probably cost as much as another one, unless a totaled one pops up.

Greetings!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by 92Mercury
Maybe I run across a totaled one at some point in time, from which I can get the whole rear end (lights, center part, maybe bumper?).

ifyoulike your old ride, just changing the tail lights andthe front header assembly (along with bumpers) from a wreck- people would "think" you had the 95-97 model haha..Edited by: 20marquis07

Quick Reply: 92/95 taillights interchangeable?