Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

94 Town Car A/C - sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:09 PM

Already posted this, but new to the site and put it in the suggestions forum...

(If there is a different site for Lincolns, I apologize, please advise.)

I recently purchased a 1994 Lincoln Town Car in very good condition

except

The air conditioner somtimes works, sometimes not.

My mechanic looked at it Tuesday, but it was working. Everything he looked at checked out, so he said to bring it to him when it doesn't work.

Posting here because it worked yesterday, didn't work today - and he wasn't at work.

Here's what I think is the main thing:

When it doesn't work, ALL I can get is warm to hot air.

No matter whether I have selected air, max air, vent, defrost or whatever. Not just outside air, but heated air. I pushed every option, allowing a couple of minutes to see if it changed. No joy. Finally got tired of driving a warm car spewing heat so shut it off and lowered a window. Seems like some switch/sensor/relay "thinks" I have asked for heat. Very frustrating that I couldn't even just get vented outside air. It has climate control and one of the options is auto - which did not help.

Anyone have thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:33 PM

is the clutch working on the a/c compressor? with the a/c on, pop the hood and look at the a/c compressor. there is a circle metal piece attached the the pulley that the belt is on. the clutch should spin (sort of pop out a little) on and off every 45 seconds or so. It is very noticable. check this first when it is blowing the hot air. if it is not working let me know and I will tell you what to do.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

there are a few sites dedicated to the Panther Platform produced by Ford. i happen to be a member of 6 sites. the Panther Platform consists of the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and the Town Car. they all share the same frame and such. the Town Car has slightly different doors on it compared to the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis. suspension is also about the same between the cars. people prefer Lincoln due to the luxuries and such. back in the 80s you could get a heavily optioned out Crown Vic and get a lightly optioned Town Car and the Crown Vic could have been more like a Lincoln.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:35 PM

Jason,

Thanks for your input!

The compressor is cycling as it is supposed to ...

But today is a working day - plenty of cold air [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

The next time there's no cold air, I will check again.

Bob

Old 06-01-2008, 10:28 PM

sounds good. this is probably why the mechanic wants to see it when it is not working. so he can check the clutch.This will be the first thing he looks at when it is not working.

also you might want to see if the connectors are worn out or just dirty. a easy way is to wiggle the two electrical connectors when the clutch is engaged. If the clutch suddenly stops, then you might have a bad connection. If I was you I would do this... purchase electrical connection cleaner for 4.00. it is a spray can at any store like auto zone. at night spray inside the connectors. let it dry over night and then reconnect in the morning. Or just give it a few good hours to dry. It is perfectly safe for all electrical stuff. These connectors are easy to get at on the a/c unit.they just might have some water inside it that needs to be cleaned out. It is a good cleaner to have around even if this does not fix it. You will be amazed at how many thing just have a bad connection. the other way is to test the connection volts in each wire. I am not sure if that is someting you know how to do. If you are capable of doing that,then let me know and can help you with it through emails.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:42 AM

Sounds to me like the blend door actuator is about to give it up.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:55 PM

good one[img]smileys/smiley8.gif[/img]

Old 06-04-2008, 05:22 PM

BFM70,

I didnt know what a blend door actuator was...

And still dont, really

The Haynes repair manual has a picture of a Temperature Blend Door - and I suspect thats what youre talking about. Please confirm.

Since Im not a mechanic, is that located behind/under the dash, in the same housing with the heater core? And could the culprit be a vacuum hose or motor?

Looks like fixing it is going to be a pain in the *** ...

My plan:

1. When the A/C is not working, check the compressor clutch to see if its cycling.

2. If it is NOT, then check elecrical connections, per Jasons suggestion. (Picked up the contact cleaner for that.)

3. If it IS cycling, then the problem is likely as you pointed out. I surely hope I can find a bad vacuum hose in that case.&nbsp\\;Otherwise, a bit more information would be appreciated as Haynes says getting to the heater core (and associated case that houses said door) requires&nbsp\\;a. drain the cooling system&nbsp\\;b. remove instrument panel trim&nbsp\\;c. remove steering column covers&nbsp\\;d. pull all sorts of stuff out of the glove box and dash being careful not to break anything and remembering where it all came from&nbsp\\;e. ARGGHHHHHHHH - put a For Sale sign in the window!

Thanks anyway - your diagnosis and my double-checking should make it easier for my mechanic. Just hope payment doesnt require my firstborn.

BobEdited by: Bob-18854

Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 PM

Your electronic climate controlprobably has two "blend doors". The temperature blend door (the one in the heater core box) is vacuum operated. It is extremely easy to troubleshoot. Stick your head down where you can see the door and cycle between max A/C and off. You will be able to see the door open and close.

You may also have the A/C electronic door actuator motor. When this motor fails all of the incoming air is directed through the heater core. My guess is this is the cause of your intermittant problem.

I say "probably" and "may have" because I don''t knowwhat yearFord started using the electronic actuator. I had one fail on my 00 Windstar and your symptoms sound similar to how that one started...so if I were to hazard a guess I''dsay that is your problem.

Typically the electronic actuator can be accessed by removing the radio head unit.. It mounts to the main ductwork along the firewall.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:42 PM

Thats a good ideaabout the door actuator.

And you are correct, it is a pain and sometimes hard to get the dash to fit back how it should if you have never attempted it before.But I still think the best, easiestand most likly place is the clutch and the connection that is probably dirty. Then for some one who is not confident with tearing apart the car, I would just bring it in after trying the 4.00 can of electrical spray cleaner first. You might be surprised with how well the cleaner works. I have id done wonders for me after replacing very expensive parts and then finding out It had a male plugand female plugbad connection.