Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

95 Marquis - EGR Valve Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 10:45 AM
Question 95 Marquis - EGR Valve Removal

First time owner of a Merc or anything related, bought it from the Ford dealer not too far from my house. It's a 1-owner from Tennessee with just over 150k on it, clean as a whistle. I heard these things are tanks and are a great ride, so I had to grab it.

Anyway, I have a check engine light and the code is running me to the EGR valve. I want to remove and clean this before trying to replace it, but I'm having issues figuring out the best way to get to it. For some reason this EGR valve is easy to access and sitting right on top of the engine on every other year, but this one 😠 .
The valve sits just behind the engine, underneath some windshield wiper housing or something; there are a few other things in the way, but that's the best I can do without a pic (coming soon).

Can anyone offer any direction?

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2021, 10:49 AM
Default EGR Valve Removal

Originally Posted by J-Merc_1995
First time owner of a Merc or anything related, bought it from the Ford dealer not too far from my house. It's a 1-owner from Tennessee with just over 150k on it, clean as a whistle. I heard these things are tanks and are a great ride, so I had to grab it.

Anyway, I have a check engine light and the code is running me to the EGR valve. I want to remove and clean this before trying to replace it, but I'm having issues figuring out the best way to get to it. For some reason this EGR valve is easy to access and sitting right on top of the engine on every other year, but this one 😠 .
The valve sits just behind the engine, underneath some windshield wiper housing or something; there are a few other things in the way, but that's the best I can do without a pic (coming soon).

Can anyone offer any direction?

Thanks!
Hello, and welcome to the Mercury Forums --
First off, if you get the old EGR Valve off, DON'T put it back on -- Get a NEW ONE !!
Your '95's EGR system is a bit hard to work on -- 'cause there is TOO MUCH stuff in the way.
I found that it's A LOT easier to access the EGR stuff if the ENTIRE Windshiled Wiper/Washer system is removed first.
Yes, it's a pain-in-the-***, but it actually SAVES TIME in the long run.
The EGR Valve is held in place by 2 bolts (10 mm deep socket, 1/4th-in. drive) , and you'll need a swiveling ratchet wrench to get them out.
When you get the Valve off, examine the exhaust passageways for carbon build-up, and clean the passages THOROUGHLY before re-assembly.
When re-assembling, first, GLUE the gasket to the Valve, you'll be glad that you did. ;>

Keep me posted.

95 MERC Engine Bay

Mallory Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator -- Set to 35 Lbs. @ 750 rpms., Hot Idle.

Bosch Ignition Wires - With Loom Clips

Old 11-14-2021, 01:04 PM

Awesome, thank you!