Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

96 Grand Marquis suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Default 96 Grand Marquis suspension upgrade

Had a lot of suspension problems with my 96 grand marquis. Replaced all ball joints, bushings in the control arms about 4 years ago. Now I would like to rebuild the front end all together and upgrade to better system. Has anyone done this or know if it can be done. I would like to use a mustang or cobra front end suspension, to give me better handling. People want to know why I want to put my money and time in 96 marquis, well this car has already put down 3 mustangs. I would like to have a better handle on things.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:50 AM

Yes, I have done a COMPLETE suspension rebuild on a '95 Grand Marquis, which uses the exact same parts as your '96.
I rebuilt the entire suspension, including MOOG springs, spring isolators, KYB gas shocks, sway-bar, and greasable urethane sway-bar bushings.
I used MOOG springs and Energy Suspension spring isolators.
Also used Energy Suspension urethane control arm bushings to KEEP the front-end alignment accurate for several years.
I used MOOG "Problem Solver" ball joints, tie rod, tie-rod ends and end links, for a total of 17 grease fittings on the front suspension.
I did all the work myself, in the carport, using only basic hand tools. I had to borrow a spring compressor to replace the coil springs.
By doing the work myself and shopping on-line for the parts, I saved A TON of money.
Most parts were from Amazon.com, RockAuto.com, and NAPA.
The suspension rebuild allows me to cruise at high speeds throughout the mountains of the Western USA, with precise handling and maximum vehicle control.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Default Mustang Suspension on a Grand Marquis ??

1.- The Mustang suspension system is not strong enough for the 2-ton Grand Marquis.
2.- The Mustang's steering geometry is much different, and would be dangerous on the longer-wheelbase and wider track of the Grand Marquis.
3.- The Mustang parts will NOT bolt up to the GM without extensive (expensive!) modifications that would cost more than the whole car is worth.
4.- The Grand Marquis can be made to perform very well in the handling department, using aftermarket parts that were made to fit the Grand Marquis, such as an ADDCO 1 1/4th-inch front sway bar; an ADDCO 1-inch rear sway bar; Energy Suspension sway bar bushings all around; and a set of KYB "Police"
shock absorbers.
I used Energy Suspension urethane upper and lower contorl arm bushings, sway-bar bushings, and shock bushings.
Goodyear Comfortread 98T (118 mph) touring tires easily handle the speed and weight of the Grand Marquis.
I got all of my suspension parts from Amazon.com and/or RockAuto.com.
Picture shows comparison of stock rear sway bar with ADDCO bar.
Good Luck !!

Attached Thumbnails 96 Grand Marquis suspension upgrade-img_0104.jpg