Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

ac/heating problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 07:26 PM

I have a 1989 Granmarquis and went I turn on the ac it works until i start driving. Thenit starts blowing from the top vent to the defroster vent. It seems to go ramdom from vent to vent. The vacuum lines are connected and I don''t see anything wrong. The only thing that remember was that I had to change the heater control valve with the aftermarket one and it hasn''t worked the same ever since.Oh before I forget it blows cold/hot/cold/hot air. Any help will be appliciated.[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 09-15-2008, 10:53 PM

yes, it is the actuator door. this door regulates the air position and from cold to hot. it is under the dash. is this a digital temperature reader on the dash?

Old 09-16-2008, 07:47 PM

The actuator doors do work because i can hear them open/closed. No it isn''''t a digital temp reader. All the air vacuum lines are connect, under the dashboard and engine comp. Edited by: pdman

Old 09-19-2008, 02:42 PM

it probably is the whole control unit.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:40 PM

Since, the actuator door and the vacuum lines are functioning correct. I decided to change the heater control valve with an original one motorcraft because i had an aftermarket one on there already. After, i installed the Motorcraft heater control valve, my problem was solved. The heater control valve goes to the heater hose that goes to the firewall.Eventhough it is heavy on the pocket, sometimes it is better to install original parts. I want to thank Mr Jason Sereiko forhis suggestions and i too will try to help out as many membersas i can with my suggestions.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:11 PM

I am glad to see that you fixxed it.

post some pics of your car!

Old 10-09-2008, 05:54 PM

I am sorry about the pictures but i am having problem downloading them to the internet. I olde you one Mr J Sereiko sorry.[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img] Edited by: pdman

Old 10-11-2008, 09:35 PM

[img]uploads/pdman/2C8_P1010055.JPG[/img]I finally downloaded the heater control valve,which i replaced on my vehicle. This is the first time that i download picture on the web. So thanknow I can sent picture, which is informative to the readers.&amp ; ;nbs p;&amp ; ;nbs p;&amp ; ;nbs p;&amp ; ;nbs p; Edited by: pdman

Old 10-18-2008, 08:24 AM

This heater control valve, would that also solve a problem where the AC works but the heat doesn''t?

We''ve inherited this car 4 months ago, and the mechanic my wife had check it out said something about the dampner maybe needing to be replaced. He seemed to imply that something would possilbly makethe acwork and not the heat or vice versa.

I find no mention of this in the Haynes that I have.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:28 AM

forgot to mention it''s a 1996

Quick Reply: ac/heating problem