Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Alignment on 2000 Mercury

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Default Alignment on 2000 Mercury

Good afternoon to all:
This is the problem I am having. My 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis was pulling to the right just a little. I had it aligned at Sears and it was pulling to the right a lot, plus the steering wheel was not straight. I have carried it back 3 times and they say the car is aligned. It has new tires on it and I have had them checked and no problems there.

Has anyone had a problem like this (Sears did replace the idler arm) - could Sears machine be messed up?

Old 03-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

i would question them when the last time it was calibrated... a shop i worked at caused cars to slightly pull to the left... we learned the machine was off and adjusted with steering wheel turned slightly to compensate... finally got the machine calibrated so no more compensating...

Old 03-17-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 87_Crown_Vic
i would question them when the last time it was calibrated... a shop i worked at caused cars to slightly pull to the left... we learned the machine was off and adjusted with steering wheel turned slightly to compensate... finally got the machine calibrated so no more compensating...
Thanks for the info. Will check it out.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:31 PM

I decided to carry the Mercury to the Ford place and have it aligned. He said the camber was out some. I had mentioned to him about the crooked steering wheel and he said it would be straight now. It may be some better but it still pulls to the right and the steering wheel is a notch off.

If you are going 30 MPH it seems to be ok, at 65 pulls to right and steeing wheel not quite straight.

With everyone telling me it is alright, not sure what to do now, but I know there is something wrong. (also had the tires checked and they were ok).

Old 03-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

see if you could flip tires ... put the pass. front on driver front and driver front to passenger front...

Old 03-19-2011, 04:57 AM

see if you could flip tires ... put the pass. front on driver front and driver front to passenger front...
I had them rotated and balanced. I believe they put the right front on right rear and so on left. Had it aligned again after that and no change. In all my years of driving I have not run into this before.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:40 PM

Hi,

I've had the same issue on my 2002, it turned out that the ball joints were worn. I had them replaced en the problem was gone.

good luck,

grts

Old 03-20-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by guido401
Hi,

I've had the same issue on my 2002, it turned out that the ball joints were worn. I had them replaced en the problem was gone.

good luck,

grts
Thanks for the info, I will have it checked. Probably would help if they would put grease fittings on them.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

many places dont check front end parts correctly... you need to use a floor jack and jack up the front corners by lifting at the lower control arms... when up that way, grab top of tire and bottom and push top in while pulling bottom out and shake it that way... then grab tire and do it side to side... up and down will tell you ball joints or bearings loose and side to side will be tie rods or bearings... need to have helper and have them shake it while looking under the car

Old 03-20-2011, 02:52 PM

many places dont check front end parts correctly... you need to use a floor jack and jack up the front corners by lifting at the lower control arms... when up that way, grab top of tire and bottom and push top in while pulling bottom out and shake it that way... then grab tire and do it side to side... up and down will tell you ball joints or bearings loose and side to side will be tie rods or bearings... need to have helper and have them shake it while looking under the car
Thanks for the info. Will check.