Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Automotive scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Default Automotive scan tool

Hello every one I'm looking to buy a Automotive Scan Tool and would like to know the best band to buy I'm looking at the Actron 9180 or the Equus 3130 please help if you know some about automotive scan tools oh that will be used on my 97 MGM and other family members car that are OBD-II.
I'm kind of leaning for the Actron 9180 because I can hook that up to the computer inside of my house and download information from that scan and see if that code shows up later on from scans before that.Thanks Brokwing

Old 12-02-2009, 08:19 PM

check out scantool.net
free software and compatible with loads of other software out there and they have units that can connect to all OBD-II vehicles. Do research the software for the things you want to do though. That's where the major money will go.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:37 AM
Default Automotive scan tool

Quick question - what is the most common scan tool/ data logger for the MS6? Would like to know what you guys are using to monitor knock, A/F, ignition advance, etc.Thanks

Old 12-24-2009, 08:46 PM

MS6? are you talking Mazda Speed 6 or Efini MS-6 or some other MS6?

As for most common, carchip seems to be popular. for guys that like to tweak stuff, anything that connects to a laptop seems to fit the bill. There's plenty of OBD-II devices out there from $50 up beyond $2000 (the higher dollar ones track more things and even help tune stuff like turbos and superchargers/blowers - typically used by racing teams).

There's lots of info on and linked by this page and lots of the software linked from there is free (with pay for versions that allow you to do much more than the free versions).

There's also Tweecar. It plugs in between the ECM and it's harness and allows custom ECM setups.