Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Battery Light... RP

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:23 PM

I have an '03 Grand Marq and the battery light comes on when I come to a stop, but while I am moving it turns off and the car runs fine. Every now and then it will stall or chug while I have it stopped in gear. I have taken it to several mechanics and they all say different things. I have replaced the alternator twice, the fuel pump, all eight coils, wires and plugs, two batteries (I'm now on a deep cycle), et al.
Every time I have something fixed the car is good for about aweek or twoand then starts doing this again. I am at a loss and my mechanic is starting to lose his hair over this. And I am going broke!A friend of mine suggesated that it may be the battery cables, and that they are getting disconnected when the car is worked on. He explained it asbeing like when you have a failing charger or cord for something... If you wiggle it it will work for a short time, but then it will eventually go back to not working right. It makes sense to me that if my battery cables were on the way out, disconnecting them and then reconnecting them when it is being worked on might be like wiggling a faulty plug on your blender making it work.

What are the chances that this is the problem.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:27 AM

you mentioned stalling too...is the idle real low...is check engine light on

does it seem to be idling low when light comes on?

is alternator belt slipping or making any noises

Old 01-09-2007, 03:43 PM

I just had my mechanic drive it for a week and it only did it once... He had his computer hooked up to it at the time and it regestered as the Idle Control Valve having a fault.