Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

a/c issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Default a/c issue

ok got part of my prob fixed i now have working a/c somewhat when at idle my a/c works well very cold air if i rev the engine in neutral or park it gets even colder. But as soon as i am in drive i get warm to hot air out of the vents and i am now stumped as to what my problem could be.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:23 PM

Older cars used vaccuum blend doors in the dash. Vacuum is highest at idle, and lowers with acceleration. This may be the cause of your problem.

Later cars used electronic blend doors.

If the pressures are optimal in the refrigerant system, then I would start to look at the blend doors in the dash.

Let us know how you make out, Bill

Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 AM

I don't know if it helps at all but the mechanic I had who found out I had a bad relay also found a small hole in the vacuum reservoir under the hood I have a new one ordered but in the meantime he just plugged off the line b4 when I had the leaky can the vents would actually switch the blend door to the defrost vents but it is now staying on the dash vents just with a temp increase so I don't know if there is possibly another vacuum leak somewhere if so is there any way I can rig the blend door so I can operate it manually all I really need to have working are the dash and defrost vents. I have managed to find a replacement vacuum canister from a local dealer who will have it for me friday and he says he has heard of this problem on cars equipped with the auto climate control and leaky canisters so i am hoping when i pick this up thursday it will solve my problem.

Last edited by mercurygm88; 07-12-2011 at 06:52 PM.