Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

A/C Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:04 AM

I have a 2003 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate with climate control. when I start the car the a/c blows warm air through the vents until the temperature gage gets to normal and then the a/c kicks in. This happens in manual or auto mode. I usually set the temp at 65 degrees and the fan on high to start. I can then re-set the temp to what I am comfortable with. This also happens after the car sits for a while and then the temp gage has to rise to normal again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:13 PM

do you know if the refrig. fluid is full? you might need a 1lb of refrig. I am thinkm ing this because you said when the car sits it is getting warm again. if it is low on refig. then it will blow warm air untill you hit the gas and speed up the motor causing the compressor to spped faster ans cycle more.

This is the cheapest way to check it out. buy a can of refrig. and add it. they usually cmes with a hose and gauge

Old 08-14-2008, 06:43 AM

Already bought a can with a gage and checked it. Refrigerant is OK. Thanks for the response.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:40 AM

I assume the clutch on the compressoris cycling when it is suppose to . if you read some past posts with the same problem, people have found it to be the control center. In other words the entire climate control has a bad sensor or something else wrong with it. the essiest way is to replace it. new onew are expensive. you should be able to find a good uded one that will work. thes are not repairable nor can they be recaliburated. get a new one or see if someone else has any ideas on what to do

Old 08-27-2008, 07:45 AM

Problem solved. Bad relay. $40.00 and done.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:20 AM

gr8 job

Old 08-29-2008, 08:47 PM

I would not keep playing with temperature setting all the time. I have been told by numerous mechanics [and the dealer] that is not good. You should just set it and forget it. The car is not going to get cooler faster when you reset it at 65 or just leave it at 75.

I live in jungle heat in Miami and we have 4 Panthers and all of them are set to the desired temperature and left that way all the time all year long. My 05 has been set at 74 degrees since I got the car back in 05.

Back when I had my 88 Grand Marquis I left it set at the desired temperature for 11 years and 250K miles and it worked just fine.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:06 PM

You know the saying, leave well enough alone. The more you play with thing the more chances you have of it going out on you.

But if you live in the midwest(chicago), then you will have to play with it since one day it is 45 out and the next 90 degrees. Florida is a little different from other parts of the country where you might have to constantly change it.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by jason sereiko

You know the saying, leave well enough alone. The more you play with thing the more chances you have of it going out on you.

But if you live in the midwest(chicago), then you will have to play with it since one day it is 45 out and the next 90 degrees. Florida is a little different from other parts of the country where you might have to constantly change it.
True. But a few times in the winter here the temperature got to the 40''s in the am but with the temperature set at around 72 the car ajusted quickly to the desired temp without ajusting it. If you are going to change temps only do it a little at a time. It is not recommended to go from 65 to 80 in one shot. The same goes for the manual dial. You shouldn''t twist the dial all the way around in one shot.

I friend of mine has a 98 Grand Marquis and he is always playing with the temperature and he is always having problems with it. Now the blend door is shot for the 3rd time. Some people just won''t listen.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:43 PM

there you have it folks...don''t play with the darn thing, it will probably go out on you.[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]

thanks Miami beach.