Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Car dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Default Car dies while driving

I have a 1997 Grand Marquis that died while the driving. I didn't notice anything strange, the car just died. It started back up but I'm concerned now. Any ideas on what to look for?

Old 09-27-2009, 09:01 PM

check to see if something got sucked into the air cleaner and clogged it. it could also be a battery issue, voltage controller issue, or alternator issue. if it persists, have those tested (walmart tire lube express and autozone do this for free).

Old 09-28-2009, 02:08 AM

Usually if a car just dies while in motion no jugging, backfiring, etc. , (just running, then not) I would say crank sensor. Any cel's or codes pulled?

Old 09-28-2009, 12:11 PM

No lights came up on the dash or anything. It only happened once, I wonder if it was a fluke of some sort. I have probably driven 10-13 miles since it happened. I went to Autozone and got a new fuel filter. The one that was on there looked original and the car has 133K on it! I checked the air box and filter and it looked good except for a couple leafs.

My friends GTP had a bad crank position sensor and his car died while driving. It is tough to replace on the Grand Marquis?

Thanks

Old 10-15-2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by DKAudio
No lights came up on the dash or anything. It only happened once, I wonder if it was a fluke of some sort. I have probably driven 10-13 miles since it happened. I went to Autozone and got a new fuel filter. The one that was on there looked original and the car has 133K on it! I checked the air box and filter and it looked good except for a couple leafs.

My friends GTP had a bad crank position sensor and his car died while driving. It is tough to replace on the Grand Marquis?

Thanks
You stated that no lights came on, on the dash. If this is the case I would suspect an electrical problem. If the key is in the on position some idiot lights should come on. Some just come on a few seconds as a test. I've seen many a car with dirty/corroded battery cables do this same thing. When it does, everything goes dead or what stays alive acts weird. Had an '02-ish Expedition do the same thing but left the guy stranded. Loose terminal on the starter solenoid.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:47 AM

I say a quirk w/your cam or crack sensor. See if it happens again.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 AM

So far it hasn't happened again. All I've done is changed the fuel filter and cleaner the air filter box of leaves.

I borrowed my friend's scanner and got code P0446, going to look it up right now...

You stated that no lights came on, on the dash. If this is the case I would suspect an electrical problem. If the key is in the on position some idiot lights should come on. Some just come on a few seconds as a test. I've seen many a car with dirty/corroded battery cables do this same thing. When it does, everything goes dead or what stays alive acts weird. Had an '02-ish Expedition do the same thing but left the guy stranded. Loose terminal on the starter solenoid.
Funny you mention the corroded battery terminals. I cannot keep this cars battery terminals clean! It is a wet battery. Everytime I clean the terminals, a couple days later they are built up again.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:34 AM
Default Car dies while driving

I dont see why not, but youll have to look under your car and see if you have exhaust hangers on the left side. If you dont, then youll need to have them welded on.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:29 PM

Is that what the code was for? How would it sense "loose" exhaust?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:44 AM

OBDII code P0446 - Evaporative emissions control vent circuit low
This can be the gas cap being loose. You want to tighten the cap until it clicks. and generally two or three clicks. Don't tighten past 10 clicks though. That just wears out the cap faster and can end up over-tightening it.
This could also mean the evap canister solenoid malfunctioned momentarily. I had to replace that on my 88 MGM (but there's no sensor for that on my car hence no code) because I found it to be rusted through and not working.

I have no idea what the exhaust post was about unless the user was confused and posted in the wrong thread about adding duals to a single exhaust car.

Last edited by slymer; 10-27-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Car dies while driving