Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

check engine P0403

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Default check engine P0403

Never had a check engine light until the intake manifold cracked. The code was lean on bank 2 and misfire on cylinder 3. I installed a new intake manifold, new plugs and boots. Those codes have never come back.
Now I have a P0403. I erase it and it comes back within 20-50 miles.
The car does not lose power or misbehaive in anyway.
It does smell a little strong under the hood after its been running.

Its not losing coolant, the oil doesnt have any water in it, I cannot hear any exhaust leaks, I checked all connections and vacuum lines.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 AM

I beleive that is an on demand EGR code,let me look it up and verify what I think it is.
What is the mileage on your car?

Double check the DPFE hoses (two that go from exhaust manifold to black box) and also the vacuum lines on the EGR valve and EVR valve (follow the line on the EGR valve to it.)

Old 02-25-2010, 12:49 PM

Okay,not sure how you came up with this code not doing an KOER self test but..

Most likely cause is the DPFE.
Only way I could really tell you to test is to unhook the vacuum line on the EGR.
Connect a hose to the nipple on the EGR valve and suck on the end of it while engine is running (or otherwise pull a vacuum on the valve).
The engine should start running like crap while vacuum is on the valve (valve is open).
If engine runs like crap,than the DPFE is more than likely crapped out and not showing the exhaust differential-which tells the EVR to pull a vacuum on the EGR.

If it doesn't run like crap,your EGR valve is either bad or ports are clogged up. That will generally flag a p0401 though.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:57 PM

************CORRECTION*************
the title of this thread is a typo.
the error was P0430 not p0403 sorry for the confusion

Also My battery light constantly comes on. battery voltage on the instrument panel never changes it stays normal range
i tested the battery and alternator and they test out fine.
I do notice a squeeling pully under the hood at times.
i wonder if the alternator is ready to bite the dust.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:59 PM

that or you got some dirt/grease on the belt and it's slipping. Might try some belt dressing on the belt to clean it off and rejuvenate the rubber.

as for the code...
A code P0430 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly
* An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
* There is an exhaust leak

Check your exhaust header and down tubes for leaks (could be as simple as a loose nut/bolt). I'd be surprised that the cat would fail on these rides with anything less than 200K miles on them, but it can happen. The oxygen sensor after the cat may also be caked with carbon build-up and need replacing and this could also indicate a rich running issue or constant short trip use. Sometimes you need to get out on the highway and blow the crud outta the engine, especially if most trips are under 10 minutes.