Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Clanging then Driver window won't open fully ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 04:26 PM
Default Clanging then Driver window won't open fully ...

Four weeks ago, when opening driver window I heard a loud clang like something falling. At that point, window would not go down farther but had no problem putting it back up.

Problem is, following the Haynes Manual for this 1997 Grand Marquis, you can't remove door panel to find out what is going on.

Where can I find real instructions for removing the door panel to be able to remove (possible) foreign object or replace regulator if necessary?

Old 06-08-2018, 08:38 PM

5 months ... maybe no one here can answer how to remove door panel in '97 Grand Marquis.

Was hoping not to damage the panel in the process.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:01 PM

Trim Panels, Door

Front

Removal
  1. Remove window regulator control switch housing by gently prying up, starting at the front.
  1. Disconnect all connectors from window regulator control switch housing.
  1. Remove inside door handle cup (22634) by gently prying at screwdriver slot with a screwdriver.
  1. Remove screw directly beneath inside door handle.
  1. Remove lower screw retaining front door trim panel (23942) to door inner panel.
  1. On Grand Marquis only, pry up screw covers from door pull handle and remove screws and handle.
  1. Lift front door trim panel upward and snap out trim panel.
  1. Disconnect wire harnesses from door panel as required and remove front door trim panel.
Installation
  1. Connect wire harnesses to front door trim panel as required.
  1. Install front door trim panel by pushing in and down until it snaps into place.
  1. Install all self-tapping screws retaining front door trim panel to door inner panel.
  1. On Grand Marquis only, install door pull handle, tighten screws and install screw covers.
  1. Install inside door handle cup.
  1. Install window regulator control switch housing.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Smee
5 months ... maybe no one here can answer how to remove door panel in '97 Grand Marquis.

Was hoping not to damage the panel in the process.
I guess people in this community don't help each other out? I joined this the other day to ask a quick question. I saw you bump your post and was willing to spend the 30 seconds to copy/paste that for you.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:00 PM

Thank you very much Mike. Appreciate the info.

The day I posted that followup, the window control went out completely. Guess I need a new regulator and motor (since the most common occurrence is the gear on the motor breaking. That means locking the doors is futile, anyone can just push down on the glass and the window opens.

Gonna be fun doing this in the south Arkansas heat.

Be well.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:12 PM

I always replace the motor and regulator together when Im replace a cable driven regulator. You can usually get them pre-assembled. I dont know for sure on your car, but I know some of the Ford full size cars have the motors riveted to the doors and they can be a pain in the *** to drill out. Ive also seen people shatter the glass while tightening the bolts that attach the regulator to the glass, unless you rivet everything again.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:14 PM

Window Regulator, Power

Front Door

Removal
  1. If front door window glass (21410) is in the down position and is inoperable, the following steps must be taken; if front door window glass is operational, go to Step 2.
    1. Remove front door trim panel (23942) and front door trim shield (237A04). Refer to Section 01-05.
    1. Disconnect battery ground cable (14301). Refer to Section 14-01.
    1. Disconnect window regulator electric drive harness connector.
    1. CAUTION: Be careful not to strike or scratch front door window glass because it can break. Remove window regulator electric drive retaining screws through holes.
    1. Remove window regulator electric drive (23394) from front door power window regulator.
    1. Raise front door window glass to full up position by hand and secure with tape.
    1. Go to Step 5.

1. Remove front door trim panel and front door trim shield. Refer to Section 01-05.
  1. Remove front door window glass as described.
  1. Disconnect window regulator electric drive harness connector.
  1. NOTE: Use care not to enlarge sheet metal holes in the door inner panel.

Remove two 1/4-inch rivets retaining lower bracket of front door power window regulator to inner panel. Use drift punch to knock out center pins for each rivet. Using a 1/4-inch diameter drill, drill out remainder of rivet.
  1. Remove three window regulator electric drive retaining screws from inside door to remove window regulator electric drive from front door power window regulator.
  1. Remove two window regulator retaining nuts.
  1. Remove front door power window regulator from front door (20124).
Installation
  1. Lubricate regulator mechanism with TeflonŽ Lubricant E7FZ-19590-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESB-M1C111-A.
  1. Install front door power window regulator minus motor (23208) into access hole in inner panel.
  1. Position front door power window regulator using upper studs and tabs on window regulator electric drive mounting bracket.
  1. Install rivets retaining front door power window regulator to door inner panel (1/4-20 x 1/2 inch screw and 1/4-20 nut and washer assemblies or equivalent metric fasteners may be used).
  1. Install two upper front door power window regulator retaining nuts.
  1. Install window regulator electric drive with three screws. Do not overtighten screws.
  1. Connect the window regulator electric drive harness connector.
  1. Install front door window glass.
  1. Adjust front door window glass as described.
  1. Install front door trim shield and front door trim panel. Refer to Section 01-05.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:58 PM

Went great with only a couple hitches:

1. Kit did not include all of the pop rivets (should have been 7, only got 5). Wasn't a big problem because I had some already.

2. Front rivet for glass required modification of the sheet metal to get my pop rivet gun in place so that I could finish up.

The modification was a snap with a cutting wheel on my dremel. If not for the two items above, about 1 1/2 - 2 hour job for me.

Thanks for your help.