Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Clockspring ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Default Clockspring ?

Hi guys,
New guy here...just wondering if anyone knows if my 96 has a clockspring under the steering wheel? Reason I'm asking is that my horn and the cruise control doesn't work. According to the crappy Chilton's, there's a relay for the horns, but haven't investigated that yet.

Also, does anyone know how to diagnose the cruise system, if its not related to a clockspring? The book tells you to take it to a dealer if its nothing obvious.

Thanks !

Frank

Old 12-04-2009, 07:00 PM

check the vacuum lines to the cruise control box if it's vacuum assisted (not sure). There are a few wire harnesses under the dash that all of that connects to and that may have come undone. Check the wiring as much as you can under the dash leading to the steering column and if you can take the cover off the bottom of the steering column behind the steering wheel, you can check the rest of the connectors and/or trace the right ones back out to the harness under the dash.

As for the clock spring, generally any airbag equipped car does have it in one way shape or form.