Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Cold Air Intake

Old 10-27-2007, 09:17 PM

I've found the K&N FIPK for the 99-02Crown Vic/Grand Marquisas well as 92-97 T-bird/Cougar, but nothing for the 92-97 CV/MGM.

Anybody running one, and if so, wheredjagetit?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:59 AM

They are all over the place, for example on eBay. Sometimes they disappear for 1 week or so, but come back.

Tip: WhenI search, I only find them by looking for i.e. 92 grand marquis. Many auctions have pictures in them, which contain the description. So if you search with the specific description, the search function looks for it, but does not recognize what the pictures shows.

And like many other things: They are not cold air intakes. The air filter is exposed inside the engine compartment, at the top. Warm air rises to the top, so in fact you will not only suck in your own warm/hot air, but also anything which might be "flying" around in your engine compartment, like traces of oil or coolant. Just look at your engine how dirty it sometimes is.

And once you, lets say, have a hose directing air to your new filter, technically your air/fuel ratio is changing, and your car's electronic can only adjust to a certain point to it.

At the end, I can buy a lot of new Motorcraft air filter elements (just bought one a few weeks ago, $5.50 at Advanced Auto, for the price of air cleaner fluid and oil.

Greetings!

Old 10-28-2007, 05:37 AM

Here's one. Overprice, in my opinion (have seen them for around $60), and they don't even have an actual picture of what you get posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AFE-INTAKE-Crown-Victoria-Gra nd-Marquis-92-02-4-6_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ00 1QQitemZ110167798766QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

And if you really want to be carried away:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Performance-Cold-Air-Intake-M ercury-Grand-Marquis-97-04_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6763QQ ihZ001QQitemZ110180588214QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

This is what you should look for (Note: there seems to be a difference between the model years):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCU...ARQUIS-AIR-INT AKE-1996-2000-2001-2002_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQih Z006QQitemZ160173199145QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Greetings!

Edited by: 92Mercury

Old 11-05-2007, 09:47 PM

Thank you for the links.

I have aplenty ofexperience with Ford air boxes and the stock panel filters. For the most part the paper elements are a touch better at filtering dirt, but the airbox itself is woefully inadequate. IF the plastic tabs never break (which they will) and IF the metal bands on the locks stay tight (wich they won't) then there might be enough pressure on the filter seal to prevent dirt from leaking around it. But unless one takes specific measures to counteract this problem, the stock airbox will leak....doesn't matter how careful you are.

Weather or not a cold air intake is misnamed is irrelevant. When the vehicle is in motion the temperature difference between underhood (at the filter) and outside is negligible. I tested this extensively on my F-250 before I built my CAI. The filter being open to the engine is not a concern. I will be moving my temperature probes over the the MGM to make sure I get the same findings before I buid an intake for it.

I'm not sure why you are under the impression that the stock electronics are so limited.....that is not the case. The stock fuel system is capable of supporting well beyond what a simple filter change would call for. Getting/keeping the A/F ratio stoichiometric through a few simple add ons is not a difficult task for the stock calibration.

I know you are a firm believer in the "leave it stock" approach, and I can respect that. Fords engineers did a fine job with this car. However, everything thing that rolls off the assembly line is tuned for the masses. There is so much more available, even from the stock stuff, that it is beyond belief....In both power and economy. All I've done to this car so far is slap a panel filter in it and unchoked the exhaust a litle bit, and it has responded with a 1.4 mpg increase in economy (20.3 to 21.7), and it runs better. How can there be a downside to that? Once I get a real intake and exhaust built as well as getting it switched over to all synthetic fluids, and maybe add a tuner, I fully expect this car to knock down at least 25 mpg on the highway.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:41 PM

your best bet is to just take off the complete stock airbox and replace it with a cold air intake filter...thats the cheapest way but you have to drill a 1/2" hole in the rubber area of the filter for the o2 sensor unless you want a check engine light. and take the screen out of the MAF sensor. and your good to go thats what i did.

let me know if you wanna see some pics. just PM me.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:43 PM

very true. taking out the mass air flow screen adds 5-7 hp. more otr the same as a cold air kit. and it is free compared to 150 bucks for a real cold air kit. the sensor would be at a higher risk of getting dirty without a screen. a small price for free horse power

Old 06-04-2008, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by jason sereiko
taking out the mass air flow screen adds 5-7 hp.

I doubt seriously that a dyno would bear that out, but anything that lessens the intake restriction is a good thing. What I can''''t figure out is what the screen is ther for in the first place? I mean, assuming the filter is doing it''''s job there is no threat to the MAF sensor element.....so why is (was [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]) it there?Edited by: BFM70

Old 06-04-2008, 11:31 PM

the screen it to protect the maf wire from large things that pass through the filter that can potentially dammage it. Removing the screen or screens adds around 200-350 cfms to the car depending on 1 or 2 screens. It is almost like upgrading to a larger MAF.It is the oldest, cheapest and most proven trick in the book. If you have no mods to the car you can expect 4-5 hp gain. if you have slight mods you can gain 5-7 hp. For example a K&N air filter willgive better resultswith a maf screen removen. This has been proven since the early 80''s with the TPI chevy cars and the 5.0 cars and everything afterward. I don''t have dyno sheets for the 4.6 L But I would assume the same results for any small block with fuel injection that has over 220hp to start with. To my knowledge, nothing needs to be redone with the computer for these cars. People don''t do it as much because of the risk of dammaging the MAf.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Interesting.

My truck club is putting together a dyno event in the fall. I kept the screen. I guess I''ll have to do a couple of with/without pulls on the MGM and find out for myself.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:35 PM

Please let us know so we can close the book on this one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake