Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Coolant color

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:06 PM

I can understand how you feel. However, I'd rather have your issues than a "Check Engine Light" or other severe electronic issues.

And: what else could you drive which gives you the smoothness of a ride like the MGM, with a V8, being rated 18mpg/city and 27mpg/highway?

Just some thoughts.

Greetings!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:37 PM

Sometimes the little things are magnified by experience and circumstance. The better part of my two week vacation has been spent trying to fix the car. It could have been better in that I could have used my car like I planned for a nice road trip. But it didn't turn out that way; my vacation was ruined because of the carand I still had to bear the expense of rental cars and deductibles.I was trying to avoid those expenses in the first place. Now I have to work another year before I can take another2 weeks off.

I've wanted a GM since I was a kid (30 years ago) and now that I have one it's given me nothing but trouble. I consider these problems to be minor on a car that has at least 75,000 miles on it but certainly not on one with only 34,000. I've had severe problems with an '85 Ford LTD I owned once too. An '88 Chevy Cavalier had problems similiar to the ones I'm experiencing with the GM now which only serve to remind me of that time as well.

On the other hand I've been a long time Toyota owner as well and I'veknown what it's like to have a reliable car even though I didn't really likeanything about those cars except theirreliability. Maybe if I had never experienced the above, the wipers, the torque converter and A/C would have seemed minor. But alas, everyone has their own shoes in which towalk.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:49 AM

Hello, 92Mercury.

Thought you'd like to know you're right so far. I took my GM to a Lincoln Mercury dealeryesterday afternoon. They had the diagnosis in a little more than an hour........it's the multifunction switch. They're going to have the part ready to install on Monday.

Even though it's a relief to finally identify the problem there is still that nagging regret of all the time I wasted on Gus Machado Ford.Their incompetence cost me a lot and not just financially.

Maybe some day I'll accept the price I'm paying for the smooth ride and V8 power.

I've forgotten my manners and have not responded to your greetings - I'm sorry - greetings to you too. I'll let you know next week if the new multifunction switch did the trick (and of course you may choose to ignore the info if you don't really care to know; it would be understandable).

Old 06-26-2007, 12:27 PM

What about that? Why would I ignore? Naa, far away from that.

I see your point, I would be mad as hell as well, if I had all the issues you had, on such a new and low mileage vehicle.

Neverless, I faced the same issues. Sometimes the shops just don't have a clue. I consult a repair manual, to get the basic idea, then take it to my dealership (which did fair so far) to get an estimate.

Might want to check out others?

I'm trying to deal with some issues on mine as well. But, one step at a time. If I had to get another car, wouldn't know which one. So I paddle around, as long as the smooth ride gets me to where I want to go.

Am glad to hear that you finally got some valueable input, and eventuall one part fixed. Maybe they can help you with your other issues, if not resolved yet.

Sometimes it's the little things, and with the big and expensive parts around, people do not pay attention to them anymore. Neverless, electric issues are the most common for those "weired issues".

Good luck, keep us updated!Edited by: 92Mercury

Old 07-01-2007, 07:56 PM

Hello!

It's refreshing to seea tolerance forsoap boxes; thanks for reading.

It's been a week and all is well. Pines Lincoln Mercury in Florida saved the day. I took the car to them on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 and they started working on replacing the multifunction switch when they noticed the wiper motor also needed replacement, just like TSB 549 predicted.Theyreplaced the motor and the multi switchas well as the rear left power window switch.

The power window switch hadn't been working for a while and I didn't pay it any mind until I had the other repairs done because everything was covered under Ford's ESP Basecare extended warranty. I had purchased the extended warranty about a year ago when I had the alleged problem with the torque converter.

I figured with only the $ 100 deductible I can have it all done including the power window switch and that's just what I did. Why not milk the extended warranty?

Funny thing happened whenI was checking out all the new and used cars at the dealer as I waited to have the repairs done. I saw a GM identical to mine. Same trim (LS Ultimate), same silver color, same grey leather interior, same year. It had only 2,000 miles more than mine.

I paid $ 15,600 in October 2005 for mine. Can you guess the sticker price onthe one I saw?It was $ 16,995.00. To see it another way, that's almost $ 1500.00 more than what I paid a year and a half ago. And far, far more than what I owe on mine ($ 12,000.00).

I don't think anyone who negotiates the price on a $ 17000.00 sticker can bring it down to $ 12,000.00 very easily. Suddenly I found myself looking at my car in a new more favorable light.

Hey, maybe I'm not so bad off after all. Maybe I even like my car. At least until something else happens...............Edited by: AngelD

Old 07-05-2007, 01:53 PM

Great news! Especially that you still have warranty.

I live in a city where the roads are terrible. When riding my Explorer, I feel like I have to see my dentist to get the loose fillings replaced.

My MGM just floats over it, and thus it has a V8, it's getting 20 mpg (EPA rating) versus 15 on the Explorer. Not to mention highway, where you can add an additional 7 or 8 mpg.

I think the Crown Vic's and Grand Marq's will hold their value, if not slightly increase it. I can not think of any other V8 in a large sedan, which delivers such a smooth ride for this kind of money.

Take care.