Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Door Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:37 PM

Anyone ever worked on the door actuator?

I enjoy using the keypad, as I don't have to fiddle around with cold keys and frozen locks, not to mention the central control over all doors and trunk.

Yesterday, after punching in the code, nothing happened. The actuator on the drivers door doesn't do anything anymore. I can not feel anything happening by grabbing the door pin or putting my hand on the door panel, tried it with the power lock button as well.

Everything else is working just fine. I did not miss the basics, at least not on this one. [img]smileys/smiley8.gif[/img]

So, anybody ever worked on one? I'd say, mainly replacing it? Of course I will check it out (yes, am extremely excited to take off the door panel again [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img] ).

Maybe I'm lucky and it's just a dirty or loose connection.

Any thoughts?

Greetings!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:20 PM

Well, I guess my, well, guess, with a loose connection might be close.

Came out of work today, and the thing works just fine. [img]smileys/smiley29.gif[/img]

I think it's time to clean the mechanism, plugs, keypad. Oh no, I wont do it unless it fails again.

Anyway, share any similar experiences. We might need the input some day.

Greetings!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like my girlfriends car. you roll the driver window down all the way and it stops working. i pull the door panel back and and hit the window motor with a hammer a couple times. it starts working again like nothing was wrong. it has a bad spot on the brushes in the motor when it is down is my guess... so we dont roll it down all the way.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:46 PM

The main thing is probably age. After so many years, all kinds of debris is building up, between electric connectors, inside the door (like your issue with the window).

I have had many issues with mine, and in most cases taking things apart and cleaning them did the trick.

Sometimes you have to replace on or the other, but it's a good way to start. I like WD40!

Greetings!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

yes, age is an issue. after all, i do own a 21 year old Grand Marquis and 2 other 1987 Crown Victorias. average life expectancy of a car, if i remembr right, is only like 7 years. if i ever hit the loterry, i would purchase 100 or so Panther platforms to have as a fence line around my property on a farm and have more for parts and nice ones preserved for occcasional driving like Leno.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:48 AM

Average Life Expectancy of a car is 7 years? Where did you get that from? In this case, we (and many others) are driving "collectibles". LOL I should sell mine for lots, I already doubled it. Yeah!

Well, the weather is suppose to get worse here, but I'm not taking a chance. Thus my actuator works fine, I just realized this morning that I can't really leave the car running and lock it (dropped of cloth at the cleaners), I might not be able to get back into it!

And no, am not interested in carrying a spare key around with me. So I guess I will head into the garage and go through the trouble anyway. Who knows, I might actually find something.

Yes, as usual, I will take pictures. Might help one of you at some point in time (if you know how to use the search function of course LOL).

Greetings!

Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

yay... pictures... pictures are a good thing. reminds me i need to recharge my camera batteries and get some interior pictures of my car and of some other work and stuff i plan on doing with my 2 door Crown Vic. i still need to get a picture of my X pipe i have that i need to install and post up pictures of my HO intake plenum and typhoon intake setup i have.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:43 PM

It's so much easier to work with pictured instructions.

Especially when they are "live", not the black and white drawings from a manual.

If you browse around, you'll find postings in which the actual setup is entirely different from what the manual is saying.

Brings me back to my door panel issue, cause the trim behind the door handle can not be pulled out separately as stated in the manual, it's all one mold.

Greetings!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:08 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Thanks for the post. I always leave my keys in the car (locked) and use the keypad to gain entry. After reading your post, I'm thinking of changing this practice before it ends in tears.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>