Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

is it easy to drop the tank on a 1998 MGM

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:12 AM

I have a fuel problem. I think it is the pressure regulator or the fuel pump. Is the tank easy to drop on a 1998 MGM. I have doe one before on a 1989 chevy camaro and it was a nightmare. The car stumbles when I press on the gas hard, when I gently press on it is is ok.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:49 PM

Fuel Filter maybe??????when it's clogged it can't keep up with fuel demand. I would try that before dropping the tank. I.M.H.O

Old 05-28-2008, 07:26 PM

I already changed it a week ago. i still am having the same problem. Do you think it can be the egr? if I ease on the gas the car runs fine, when i press on it a little hard the car boggs.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:49 PM

Have you checked your fuel pressure? You can attach a pressure gauge to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. You should be able to maintain around 30-35 psi all the time.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

same thing was happening to girlfriends car. it is the fuel strainer/sock attached to the pump that clogs also. changed hers and all is like new again.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:28 PM

will it have low fuel pressure if it is the dirty sock on the fuel pump? Also has anyone changed these fuel pumps before? I was just wondering how hard it is before I attemt it if that is the problem

Old 05-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

get rear of car on wheel ramps to make it easier. there are 2 tank straps, the wiring and hoses along with filler neck. you will need a floor jack if it has fuel to help get the tank down. once it is down, slide it out and there is a collar that holds the pump on backside of tank facing trunk. i use a thick flat screw drivr and hammer to tap it off and pul the pump unit out. make sure to get the "O" ring gasket and such for it and i use a lil grease to help hold in place while putting lock ring/collar back on. fuel pump is connected in there by a metal band and a hose the goes to outer cover plate. there will be the electrical wires for it also to disconnect. a dirty sock/strainer will restrict flow like a dirty fuel filter. Edited by: 87_Crown_Vic

Old 05-31-2008, 12:54 AM

No need to drop the tank. We know the pump is operational. First thing is to check fuel pressure and go from there. Is it a constant problem? Cold and hot?

Old 05-31-2008, 12:53 PM

yes it is constant. it does it all the time. do they sell a pressure regilator that is resonable or would it be just as cheap to pay someone to check the pressure? Also would you reccomend maybe replacing some of the egr stuff. like the egr valve,the solenoid or the sensor that operates the egr stuff?

I think I need to be more specific on the tank being dropped question. I know about the straps and the other things stated from 87 crown vic. It sounds like he is explaning how to drop the tank that is mounted under the trunk. This tank is mounted vertical between the rear end and stuffed behind the trunk, not directly under it. are these hard to do on a 1998 MGM? do you have to mess with the suspension or rearend to drop this. these cars are a little diferent from the easier 80's style.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:17 PM

Is your check engine light on? Just about anything that could cause your problem in the EGR or EVAP system will trip the CEL. If it's on have the codes pulled and you'll have an idea where to start.

If the light is not on you are looking for a fuel delivery problem. You can probably rent a fuel pressure gauge from your local parts house. They are not all that expensive to purchase either.

When you decide to drop the tank get it as empty as you can. It will come out without removing any suspension pieces. There are two vapor tube connections, the fuel pump electrical connector, and the filler tube that must be removed. After that remove the straps and remove the tank.

Quick Reply: is it easy to drop the tank on a 1998 MGM