Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

is it easy to drop the tank on a 1998 MGM

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

i am telling ya it is the fuel strainer attached to the pump in the tank. i went thru this with my girlfriends Crown Vic. i was being told fuel injectors, fuel filter and such and just ended up changing out the tank since i had an extra with all things needed in it. after the tank swap her car runs like new. the strainer acts as a filter in the tank to keep rust in tank from getting through to the filter and burning it up. so i would change out the strainer.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:21 PM

thanks bro. for the tip about the strainer.

I do not have the computer sending a code. I am not really sure the obd2 is working properly. this is an ex cop car that I recently purchased. the obd2 connector does not work when I plugged a scaner to it just to see if there has been any codes going off. Do you think that all the check engine lights are disconnected also or that just the connector plug is disconnected?

Old 05-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

wires for the OBD2 probably got butchered when they removed the police equipment.

i say the strainer because girlfriends Crown Vic showe improvement with new fuel filter, but started acting up again. it would backfire at way open throttle and lose power on hills. after doing the tank swap that had a good pump and strainer in it, the car is acting like new again. and pulling its usual 25mpg plus. granted it is a 1989 with the 5.0, but i have a H.O. intake and CAI i installed in it along with doing a major cleaning of the lower and H.O. intake to breathe better.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:33 PM

I am going to take a loomat it if the pressure regulator does not work. The main reason is the pressure regulatos is around 30.00 bucks and takes about 15 minutes. if that does not work I was thinking about spraying some cleaner i the egr stuff before dropping the tank. I really don't want a weekend project if I can avoid it, but i might have to drop the tank if this does not work. Thanks again for replying and sticking with your first answer about the strainer

Old 06-01-2008, 03:50 PM

Check your fuses. The OBDII connector is powered through the fuse box. Normally the same fuse that powers the cigar lighter. No part of any police package I've seenhas anything to do with the OBD data connector, it's just radios and antennas.....and even if it did, the car would still store codes and turn on the CEL. NO police department would disable that.

Replacing the regulator might help, and since it's fast and cheap it's worth a shot.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:18 PM

I think that i mught just replace the regulator. I checked the fuses and they are ok. Are there any fuse lines somewhere else fot the obd2

Old 06-01-2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by jason sereiko
Are there any fuse lines somewhere else fot the obd2

No. But check the data connector wiring. Somebody might have cut the power wire for a radio or something.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:12 PM

sound good. i guess it will be easy to see if they cut it right at the connector. If I see something I am going to try, and see if it has any kind of volts on the cut wires. if it does I guess i will start on reconnecting them. Thanks for the tip bro.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

thats why i said probably the OBD2 wiring was butchered. many places connect wires wherever to get power and police cars are known for butchered wires since many places dont even take time to plug holes on the body and can only imagine how stuff gets pulled out.