Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Electric windows

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by 92Mercury

[img]uploads/92Mercury/EDF_4bdd_1_b.jpg[/img]
Aren't the Aero's windows driven by cables? Those cables can fail too you can still hear the motor and it also makes a clicking noise. Replaced two of the regulators. That was a pain. The windows are working now though. I hope it doesn't have to come to that cause we had to pull the glass out to replace the regulators. It could be the plastic bushings that everyone is talking about.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the tip, didnt really think of that one.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:11 PM

[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img] Just tried to fix my rear window, holy sh*t batman.I was not ready for that! Due to the cables being mangled, I belive they wil need to be replaced.

Does anybody have any experience with these windows?

I managed to get the two cables out but Don't see myself being able to replace them because I am not sure how they were supposed to be ran. (other rear has the same problem)

Thank you in advance for any info.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jadman
[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img] Just tried to fix my rear window, holy sh*t batman.I was not ready for that! Due to the cables being mangled, I belive they wil need to be replaced.

Does anybody have any experience with these windows?

I managed to get the two cables out but Don't see myself being able to replace them because I am not sure how they were supposed to be ran. (other rear has the same problem)

Thank you in advance for any info.
you have to buy the whole regulator. That comes with the cables already attached.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00011.html

Here's a writeup on how to remove the regulator. I would suggest that you have some wood behind the glass so you don't break it when you're popping the rivets. And it will be a whole lot easier if you have another person to help you hold the glass. Also, it will be much easier if you have a rivet gun and the proper size rivets. The rivet sizes are in the writeup.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:47 PM

THANK YOU! I really appreciate your help man, thanks.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jadman
THANK YOU! I really appreciate your help man, thanks.
Your welcome. The only thing is I don't think you have those nylon fastners, when you take out all the screws on the door panel, and the little plastic piece behind the door lever (use a little screw driver to remove it)then pick up the panel, it should come right off. Then you have to remove the plastic bag thing. It's just stuck on there by adheasive. Very strong. onece you get it off, don't crinkle it. The adhesive will still work. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:13 PM

I'm having the same problem with my '93 Marq. Going to try to do the gears first, as they are the cheaper of the two.
I don't have a torx set, what size did you need to use?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:57 AM

Does anyone know if a 97 has the same gear kit? or is it a different mechanism??

Old 03-12-2008, 06:18 PM

Hi,

Well I tried the method describe for the gear replacement, but now I have a problem.

When I removed the motor the regulator spool popped out and the cable came unwound. The gear was as you described, shattered bushings, I replaced the gear, and replaced the spool.

When I lowered the window, it came down easily at first and then at the halfway point it halted. It makes a grinding sound if I try to roll the window up, and the sleeve that the cable goes into is pulled up tight to the motor housing (It does slacken when the motor goes back up).

I must have gotten the cable onto the spool wrong, too lose, or too tight, I'm not sure. Does anyone know how many times around the spool it should be for a window being fully up?

Also since it is halfway down now, does anyone know a way to get the window up enough to work on it?

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 PM

get a real factory shop manual on cd rom from www.repairmanualworld.com

Quick Reply: Electric windows